Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Amber necklaces

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

How long are they good for? I have heard indefinitely and I have heard 3-6 months.  Which is true?

by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ParanormalSarah
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I'm not sure as all the ones I've used or seen don't have an expiration date though they do recommend avoiding harsh soaps or chemicals so they don't run out of their oil-secreting qualities. Stellan has had his for over a year and it still seems to help

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Considering amber is already thousands of years old, I highly doubt it expires within a few months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM
You might have to clean it (I just use a soft tooth brush and warm water, dry in the sunlight) every 3-6 months due to build up (sweat, skin cells, spit up, drool, etc), but since it is a very old material as it is, I, personally, don't believe it expires.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

SEE this is what I think too.  My 3 year old still wears the one he got when 10 months.  He refuses to remove it for very long.

Quoting MaryJarrett: You might have to clean it (I just use a soft tooth brush and warm water, dry in the sunlight) every 3-6 months due to build up (sweat, skin cells, spit up, drool, etc), but since it is a very old material as it is, I, personally, don't believe it expires.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Good advice :).

Quoting MaryJarrett: You might have to clean it (I just use a soft tooth brush and warm water, dry in the sunlight) every 3-6 months due to build up (sweat, skin cells, spit up, drool, etc), but since it is a very old material as it is, I, personally, don't believe it expires.
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:50 AM
FWiW, I've been using the same ones for years and they still seem to work. One of mine is 8 years old, lol.
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:17 AM

There is nothing to expire.

They have anti-inflammatory properties, much like honey has anti-bacterial properties.  Neither "wears out."

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM

As long as it doesn't get soapy it should be fine. I washed one once in the washer by accident and when I put it on ds it didn't help his teething at all and had to get another one. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM

My 2 yr old is the same way. 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

SEE this is what I think too.  My 3 year old still wears the one he got when 10 months.  He refuses to remove it for very long.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM

but my 3 year olds has gotten soapy because he has refused to remove it during batsh the past year.  Gonna start removing the babies at baths though

Quoting JoJoBean8:

My 2 yr old is the same way. 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN