Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Coping with labor pain when there are no breaks?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 33 Replies
My labors are really kind of fast and furious. I'm due with baby 5 in a few weeks or less and I really need tips on how to relax and cope with pain when contractions have no breaks. I usually have about 3 or more hours where they are back to back, one fading as another is building. Every tip I can find starts with " let your body go limp as the contraction ends.." But its like they don't end.

I always kind of loose it during this time. I can't relax, I can't get away from the pain. It's really upsetting. I just end up so tense and I know it only adds to the pain. Anyone else have labors like this? I always have back labor and 3 of my 4 so far have been sunny side up.
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Honestly, I don't know. Mine are the same and I kind of lose it too. But good luck!
hapababies
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM
The only time I have back to back contractions is when I'm in transition labor and getting ready to push. By that time, I have a hard time relaxing. I can't imagine going through that for 3 hours at a time.
Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM
I couldn't do it without warm submersion. It helps me regain control. My labors are fast with minimal breaks between contractions but the water helps cut the pain from the peaks.
nicole2884
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I had to have pitocin so I know how you feel an the only thing that helped was sitting on the potty funny I know but it was a big help
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM
My labors go the same way you are describing yours. The pain is unreal and unrelenting:( with my last birth I practiced relaxation breathing at night in the weeks leading up to my birth. During my labor I was starting to get list in the pain but I was able to use my breathing to help cope. The practice was very helpful to me. I also have found that standing and "pussy footing" (quickly stepping back and forth are the positions I fall into. The pussy footing does not help at all but standing/leaning is ok .

Good luck!! Do you know if you're having a boy or girl?
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Oh yeah- "j breathing" is the breathing I practiced . Visualize a lowercase letter j

For the dot on the top of the j take a very deep breath in. On the exhale, imagine breathing your baby down I to the birth canal and finally, a small hook out into the world. I also envisioned breathing the pain down and out of my body (same j shape). I practiced the j breathing 5-10 minutes a night and had tremendous benefits from it.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM

My labors were always augmented til this last one they were horribly fast and furious and I had epidurals for that reason..this last one I had 28 hours from water breaking til baby delivered..BUT only 5 hours from when real contractions started til baby here...so pretty darn fast.  

relaxing my face...even if for a matter of seconds and having my midwife and husband tell me to relax my face made a BIG difference.  I had to zone out and moan loudly and deep..I swayed and used deep tissue pressure.  ALL mine have been sunnyside up and horrible back labor..my last turned while I was in labor and that was the worst lol.

It was my midwife saying I was doing awesome over and over and how proud she was of me that made things easier.  I told her I feel out of control and she said no momma you are doing well, you are doing it right

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Counter pressure on my hips, sitting in hot water with a cool rag on my neck, being told "relax, you can do it" Zoning out. Heating pad on your hips if not water available.
Have you thought about essential oils to sniff that might help calm you? Becky is good with EOs. Low lighting?

All my labors have hung out around 6 hrs. My last one I spent roughly 4 hrs of that in the shower/tub. I'd stand in the hot water with the massaging head hitting my back while dh did hip squeezes then I'd let the tub fill up to sit and rest.
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:43 AM
That sounds rough. Does being in a tub help?
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Have you hired a doula?  They help greatly with pain-management techniques...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN