Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your midwife experience

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:51 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hello ladies!

I am in the process of looking at midwife courses and the requirements to become certified. I was just wondering if any of you would mind sharing a little (or a lot, anything is appreciated) about the experience that you had with your midwife or what you would like in one if you haven't used one before.

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
srm8824
by Sam on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I love my midwife. She is a hospital midwife but she's great, nonetheless. The only complaint is that being a hospital midwife she is not in the room or giving constant care and she uses nurses. That is when my doula came in handy. My birth was great and she was looking out for my best interest for sure. 

micheledo
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Are you interested in being a home or hospital midwife?

I preferred my midwife who was 'less medical.'  She didn't push tests on me.  Once I said no, that was enough and I wasn't bothered about it again.  I knew if there was reason for concern, she would deal with it, but when there was no reason, she was fine with doing nothing.

momof3inTN
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I loved the midwife who delivered my first 3 children! She was carrying, compassionate, listened to my concerns... she let me labor for 81 hours with my first, she was the absolute best.

I wish I could say the same for the ones I am seeing this pregnancy. Unfortunately they are more medwives than midwives. They come in, check the fetal heartbeat, measure my belly and are gone again. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I love many things about my midwife experience.  EVERY appt I got a hug, it was a real legit hug.  SHe asked about my life and meant it, she remembered my husbands name and asked about my other kids by name.  Even if she had it in her notes and cheated lol it meant alot.  She saw me as a person and I mattered as a person.

jupiter5
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I live mine, I go to an office that has 3 certified nurse midwives and 3 obgyns I only see the midwives usually, I think I get 2-3 on visits during the whole pregnancy lol. I had my first with then and am now pregnant with my second. I am a young healthy mom with low risk pregnancy a so it really makes me feel better knowing they will ever push c section on me.... I get nervous about regular obgyns.
SlapItHigh
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I really like that my MWs were very hands-off. I appreciated that they honored the process and didn't try to push or change anything. I appreciated that they never even suggested a cervical check in pregnancy or labor. I loved that they say back and just observed unless I asked for help.
tairakittie
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Love my home midwife!! She works out of her home and only does home births. I have only seen her twice now and its already a MUCH better experience than.my previous OB experience. For starters, she offers me tea at every visit, she is more into herbal and natural healing but will suggest medical intervention if needed. She suggested I get a doula and lucky for me she knows a couple who will volunteer for their doula training!! Im excited for my birth this time around!!
mikkosmommy
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM
I loved my midwife with ds2... Best pregnancy/birth experience I can imagine. She was a hospital midwife, BUT never suggested medical intervention... She was into herbal and natural medicine, did acupuncture, etc... But like I wanted a 20 week sonogram so she scheduled one for me, most of my other friends that delivered with her never had one. She definitely felt out her patients to figure out their level of comfort with natural vs medical healing.

She never rushed, she always talked to me about what I wanted, about how I felt, and when it was time for baby, we kept in touch throughout the day but she encouraged me to stay home and labor with my family. When I was sure I was hitting transition she said to go ahead and come in. She literally squated in the corner of the delivery room and quietly waited and watched while my DH and MIL coached me through transition. When I started sounding pushy she suggested the birthing stool because she had been watching how I was naturally responding to contractions and thought it would be most conducive to what I was naturally doing. She laid down on the floor with my mil and mom and delivered my baby! Well as he was coming out, she told me to touch him and I grabbed him and brought him to my chest, she guided me to deliver him!!! So cool. I think for a hospital midwife she might be an exception and she is amazing!!!

Just thinking about her makes me think I would like to drive the 8 hrs back to her when I go into labor this time :)
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

If I had a midwife I would want them to know me.  I had a doctor that at every appointment would ask me the same questions about my family.  How many kids I had at home and were they boys or girls?  After a few times I just felt like a number and unfortunately it never got better with her.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM
My first two midwives were very knowledgeable, which I needed, very experienced and loving.

My second midwife was very passionate and caring. I got to know her children and wr still talk even though she moved. She wasnt very organized, but it didnt bother me too much. She did have a midwive assistant that did most everything at our birth who worked elsewhere as a midwife, and things were done differently there, and she wasnt very fluent in our language, which made communication difficult

Our third midwife i likes best. She was kind amd caring. She took her time to know us and our kids. We clicked. She loves babies, and my kids. She was very bubbly and always making jokes. She was calm and very educated. She trusted the birthing process and I felt the most calm during that birth. Also, the assistant midwife kept on trying to massage me, and that bugged me (too hands on for me)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)