Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

new mom

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 14 Replies

I had my first child november 20th. I had her by c section. it was supposed to be natural but she was sunny side up.  Abby is a month old. She went for her drs visit and they told me to keep her up during the afternoon. Well she is usually up in the morning. Sometimes from 7 to 1. It varies sometimes its not that long. Well I tried to keep her awake this afternoon she fell asleep. She would not stay awake, She woke up on and off but not for too long. Gave her a bath and she is awake now. She has been fussy like never before. She has never been this fussy. I think its because she is tired. She was awake quite a bit last night. I think her belly is upset. She ate well around 6 and burped well but I don't know what to do. I can't take naps and I think I have insomnia. I sleep at night but not well she makes noises when she sleeps. Also she doesn't like her bouncy seat and her swing she likes sometimes, She won't go to sleep on her own but we are trying that tonight. Its stressful being a new mom. I hate hearing her cry but sometimes I have to let her. Does anyone have any sugguestions? Is it normal for her to sleep that much during the afternoon?

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Why are they telling you to keep.her awake?
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow. You're getting a lot of bad advice. A baby that young needs to sleep when she needs to sleep. She needs to be held when she needs to be held, she needs to nurse when she needs to nurse. She should NOT cry alone. Trust your mommy instincts, you have them for a reason. So does little Abby.
Check out askdrsears.com a bit.

Also, FYI, the first three months are the hardest, it only gets easier.

Good luck and congratulations!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm curious about this too. My guess is, given the other advice she's being given (CIO and whatnot), is because baby is "supposed" to be sleeping at night, not during the day.

Op, I know it's frustrating, but I promise if you start listening to your gut and meeting your baby's needs, it'll get a little better. Babies do not have adult brains or sleeping patterns. At this age she doesn't even know she is her own person, she still thinks you are physically a part of her! Baby brains are fascinating and delicate. She will and does tell you exactly what she needs.

Quoting Precious333: Why are they telling you to keep.her awake?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
farmlovin
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm with jellyphish on this. Let her sleep, nurse, and hold her all when she wants those things. This time passes so quickly. Get a good ring sling or other baby carrier. Try to sleep/nap with her when she is doing that. Slow way down. You're not sleeping well at night - no new mother does. This is normal and will pass in time. It is absolutely normal for her to sleep several times during the day and night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ahleesha14
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Thank you for all the advice. The pediatriton told me to keep her awake because she has her days and night mixed up. I think she did good last night. Then again my husband was up with her most of the night and let me sleep so I feel good today. I have a baby sling. I just think she is sleeping too much. She is awake in the morning. Sleep all afternoon gets up to eat. she was up a little before her bath last night but usually sleeps until her bath and falls asleep. Then at night she gets up every 3 hours to eat. sometimes she stays awake a night for a little it I guess she did last night. when she crys i comfort her and when she is hungry I feed her. She just sleeps a lot

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Hugs! Sorry you guys are struggling a bit. I would just let her sleep :).
ahleesha14
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Thats what I am doing now. She has been a bit better today. She is waking up for a little bit after she eats so I am hoping that she is getting used to being awake. Plus I am keeping her in a well lit area during the daytime

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM

what!  If she wants to sleep just let her sleep.  Everyone will be happy then.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM

and congratulations on the new baby.  How are you feeling after the c-section?

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I agree. Why does it matter that your little one is kept up during the day? Newborns sleep all day and even at a month old they still do.

Quoting jellyphish: Wow. You're getting a lot of bad advice. A baby that young needs to sleep when she needs to sleep. She needs to be held when she needs to be held, she needs to nurse when she needs to nurse. She should NOT cry alone. Trust your mommy instincts, you have them for a reason. So does little Abby.
Check out askdrsears.com a bit.

Also, FYI, the first three months are the hardest, it only gets easier.

Good luck and congratulations!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN