Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

birth story of ms karissa

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this
I started having some irregular contractions the day after Christmas

we were up by the hospital visiting friends/ family... it was mostly a lot of pressure I was feeling but no real pain

I had been talking with my mom, who lives in ca, about when about to start heading out this way and we were both a little frustrated by not knowing.... her because she didn't want to use up all her vacation here with no baby, me because I'd get a real good pattern going only to have it stop when I changed my activity

I had fallen Christmas day at home, but we tweaked the time of the fall and went into L&D just to check on her and see if any thing was happening at all

I was a fingertip dilated at my appt on the 23 and was a full cm on the 26- but still thick and posterior

we decided baby was not coming any time soon and drove the hour back to our house instead of staying another day at the place we were at

I inserted 2 epo pills that night and went to sleep

Friday morning I had agreed to do some babysitting for my friends 7 yr old and 5 month old

they were dropped off at 730 and we discussed a plan in case I went into labor...I had no doubt I'd still be pregnant that evening, or into January for that matter

About 9 am I started to get pretty consistent, though not painful at all, contractions

I started timing them on my phone

by about 11-I was feeling the need to somewhat breathe through them

by about 1-2 I was having to really concentrate and breathe, a few I needed to vocalize through

I called my dh and the kids dad I was watching, kids were picked up about 3-I put s movie on for my kids and
hopped into a warm shower to see if that changed anything

got out to a msg from dh that a tire was flat, well that was fine because the shower seemed to have slowed things down from 1-2 min to 4-5 min

he got home and we had to call our backup babysitter as the first was sick, luckily she was in our town, picking up her son, so we didn't have to drive 45 min PAST the hospital to drop them off

we left the house around 430- I was REALLY vocalizing through them. the drive was not too bad at first, but I started to need to squat to help spread my hips as it was really hurting there

we stopped at sonic to get some dinner and kept going, we made it about 6 pm to the hospital and every few steps I'd have to stop, squat and moan through a contraction

they immediately put me in a room and checked me-I was 5-6 at that point

the staff was AMAZING in giving me exactly what I wanted in my birth plan, I had very little monitoring, once the abx was done they switched to a heplock

squatting through contractions really helped me manage the pain

About 730ish the doctor checked me, I really really hate when he checks me, it hurts about 10x more than the nurses
he wanted to break my water,I didn't exactly want that, but to get him the hell out of my insides I said yes

About 750 I was really wanting the epidural, the nurse suggested I try squatting some more and getting into the shower

the shower helped in between contractions, but at this point it seemed nothing was helping during them, I was very loud in vocalizing and really needed something to help me relax,I was exhausted

my about 8-I was ready to give in to the epi but decided to try something else first- the nurse gave me fentanyl and immediately I relaxed, it took the edge off about the next few contractions and I started to feel pushy about 3-4 contractions after the drug

she was born at 910- after what felt like forever but I guess was only about 10 pushes

they delayed the clamping, I got to cut her cord :)
they didn't weigh her until about an hour or so after she was born, didn't put the eye goop in for another hour after that(I learned it's mandatory in tx :/)
I was also told they always give pitocin after the placenta delivers, but I think they forgot, lol

no vit k, no hep b

she nurses great when she actually latches on... probably because of the drugs, she seems pretty sleepy

she's also having s hard time keeping her body temp up, even with skin to skin
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Congratulations!! How awesome that the staff helped you stick to your natural, medication free birth plan!!
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Congratulations!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Pics!!!!! Congrats!
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Congratulations!
farmlovin
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Congratulations!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Congratulations!!  You did an amazing job!

momof3inTN
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Congratulations!!!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Congrats!
jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Congratulations!!
Sweetheart08
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Congratulations on the beautiful baby girl
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)