Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Cloth diapering a newborn?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 37 Replies
If you have, what do you recommend? I cloth diapered my son but we didn't start until he was 6 months old. I still have his stash but they are all one size diapers.

I like the idea of prefolds and covers because they are cheaper, but I will only have 6 weeks of maternity leave and My mom would probably make a big fuss about having to learn to fold a diaper. I know the one size diapers have snaps, but I'm just not sure if they would work on a newborn. My son was 9 pounds 14 ounces though so I don't usually have tiny babies.

Any advice is appreciated! Baby will start daycare at around 4 months old, and I still not sure if they will even accept cloth diapers or not, fingers crossed!
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom24munchkins
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally hate prefolds fir newborns. I don't fold them well in no sleep ;) I'm currently using cloth on my nb (born on the 19th) and we use a mix of fitteds, hybrid fitteds, and all in ones. I'm very satisfied with them :)
jjchick75
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I use prefolds and covers for newborns and then switch to pockets and AIOs.
Mom24munchkins
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

In one of our hybrids :)
rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I always end up buying fitteds and AIO and ai2s for newborns and I ALWAYS end up putting them in prefolds and covers
Jenn8604
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I used prefolds and vinyl covers when mine was a newborn. So much more affordable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Fitteds with a cover would be good. Also I am sure you could find gently used newborn pockets or Aio on eBay or the Cuties With Cloth Booties group fsot forum. Most daycare care facilities will use cloth. Just ask and show them how easy pockets or Aio are. Also you can used prefolds just trifolded in a cover. Like a maxi pad. No snappi or pins required!
norahsmommy
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Id get some infant prefolds an newborn covers as well as one size covers. For mom you can get some one size diapers or fitteds. My son was 8 lbs at birth and by 4 weeks he fit in one size diapers. So by 6 weeks I'm betting your baby will too.
LNLMommy
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM

sooo cute! What type of diaper is that?

Quoting Mom24munchkins:

Mobile Photo

farmlovin
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in the same boat you're in with my 2nd babe. I started my son in cloth when he was nearly 7 months. I got all OS diapers. I did some asking about and went with prefolds and covers. LOVE them. My 2nd is now almost two and still in prefolds and covers! I'll be doing the same with the kiddos new baby sister in April. I have thirsties covers and I have OS econobum covers. It took awhile for my 8lb 11oz baby to fit the leg holes of the OS covers. Those things hold everything though so they're awesome and cheap. I still love the thirsties covers, but they are pricier. We use indian cotton prefolds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom24munchkins
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
It's wahm, cloth comfort. So far her diapers are my favorite on baby. You can find her on Facebook :)

Quoting LNLMommy:

sooo cute! What type of diaper is that?

Quoting Mom24munchkins:

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)