Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Ilan's Birth Story

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 25 Replies
2 moms liked this

Always listen to your instincts!

I had been having contractions for many nights but they would stop during the day. But I woke up early Sunday morning, 2am, with strong contractions in my back and lower abdomen. They got progressively stronger and with a shorter time been them.

We called the doula at 4:30. She was great! We were still planning on our UC. We had everything out and ready. I was walking, sitting, squatting... just did what ever felt natural. My friend came at 10 to help with the other children. But at 10:30am the baby's heartbeat dropped and I felt G-d telling me we needed to go to the hospital. I had called my medwife at 5:30 but never got a call back. So we just went in, I felt something was wrong.

I could barely walk into the hospital. My doula and husband were practically carrying me because I hurt so badly by this point. We got checked in, the medwife had never gotten my message from the answering service (she's going to report that to the office manager). By the time we got checked in and to the delivery room it was 11:30am.

When we got to the delivery room the medwife checked me. 8 cm, 100% effaced, 0 station and a bulging bag of water. Just an hour later and I was ready to push. My bag of water popped and there was meconium.

Pushing was the worst feeling ever! My hospital prohibits waterbirth. I've had 4 other children, all waterbirth. Open air birth took so much longer and hurt so much more. No wonder women opt for drugs! I have never pushed more than 20 minutes. This time I was pushing for an hour.

When Ilan's head was born the cord was tight around his neck and so short the medwife could not unwrap it from his neck. She, as gently as possible (which isn't very gentle), held the cord back and I pushed his body through the loop.

The cord was very short and she could barely put him on my belly. I did not get the delayed cord clamping that I wanted. :-(

He pinked up quickly and I was able to nurse him within 15 minutes.

I had no cuts or years but the pain down there is worse than it was for all 4 of my others put together. I don't know if it's all because of the air birth or because the medwife had to kind of "hold me open" to birth through the cord... I just know it hurts a lot.

My husband is glad we went to the hospital, he says he got scared when he saw the cord and how tight it was and that he did not feel prepared to deal with that situation at home.

I didn't get the UC I wanted but baby Ilan and I are both healthy and that is what matters most.

Ilan Ezra

12/29/13

7lb, 4oz

20.5 inches

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad you followed your instincts and went in! I hope you recover quickly! Congratulations!!!
rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

congrats!

swedemomma
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats! Such a precious baby! Glad you are both ok and I hope you heal quickly.

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations!! Hospitals are great for emergency type births and it sounds like at home with a UC your son's delivery could have been much scarier than anticipated. Every birth is unique and it's SO important to listen to your body and to trust your instincts above following a birth plan for your ideal birth:)

Enjoy your new son- I hope the pain subsides quickly!! Take advantage of the hospitals sitz bath set up if you are still there.
farmlovin
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations! He's adorable!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

You did such an amazing job!  I'm so glad you listened to your instincts.  That's a beautiful picture of the two of you.  I'm sorry your in so much pain, I hope you heal quickly.

Mommy_Natural
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats! He is so beautiful. That's great you trusted your instincts.
TheMeanestMom
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats!! Glad he is finally here!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Congrats!! It's great that you followed your instincts. He's adorable!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)