Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Vitamin D Controversy!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

Do you guys take vitamin D supplements?  Have you heard about any of the controversy surround it ? - https://chronicillnessrecovery.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=176

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I have only ever heard of it mostly being pushed on infants, which I don't agree with. I think it's pointless to supplement it unless you have a deficiency. Sunlight is the best source IMO. I do have a deficiency, well did, but it's most likely due to MTHFR gene mutations.
Lexa_Lee
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Go outside. Simple as that.
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Yup!

Quoting Lexa_Lee: Go outside. Simple as that.
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I agree.  I don't like the idea of giving it to infants at all.

Quoting jconney80: I have only ever heard of it mostly being pushed on infants, which I don't agree with. I think it's pointless to supplement it unless you have a deficiency. Sunlight is the best source IMO. I do have a deficiency, well did, but it's most likely due to MTHFR gene mutations.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Ha, so true!!

momof3inTN
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I had a vitamin d deficiency with my 4th pregnancy. I just went outside more often. And every time a Dr has told us to give our baby vitamin d supplements while breastfeeding I've nodded and promptly ignored them. Take baby for a walk instead. :-)

Harleysmom213
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM

my son's pediatrician  highly recommended it for him. i live in western washington and we don't get much sun here. and though i agreed with her that it would be best i always forgot to give it to him and now he's 6 months and has only had like 2 doses of it. pretty much everyone in my area is vitamin D deficient.

larissalarie
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM
I read that because of the altitude, it's physically impossible to get the necessary vitamin d from sunlight in Denver between like December & April (or something like that) Maybe that's BS, but we do sporadically supplement with vit D around here after I read that. It could be totally untrue, I'm sure, and nobody receives supplements in infancy in our house.
Quoting jconney80: Yup!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I live in Alaska and don't give it to my kids, we get lots in the summer, and soak up what we do get in the winter

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Drs find any excuse to push it. Here in phx- the valley of the sun- we are told that we are all vit d deficient because we hide inside. Instead if saying "so go outside" they say "so take this supplement." And I say pah! I will go outside and I will eat my mushrooms!
Even if we can't get sun, we can get food!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)