Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homebirth in Beaufort, SC?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hi everybody, I'm new to the group and have a question.  First, a little background: My husband is in the military and we have three kids, ages 6, 4 and 2.  The third one was born at home with a midwife.  We are moving to Beaufort, SC in June.  I am not currently pregnant, but we're thinking we'd like to conceive sometime in spring and have a baby there in the fall or winter.  I would like to find a midwife and have the baby at home again.  After what an amazing experience that was, it's hard to imagine having to go to a hospital again (without a serious reason, of course).  I asked the midwife I had here if she could look into it for me, and she says that unfortunately, that area is about as homebirth-unfriendly as this one is here (eastern NC).  She said she'd check into it for me.  I had a hard time finding my midwife in NC too, and back then someone in Cafemom suggested I ask the LLL.  That was how I found her, but it looks like there is no local LLL in the Beaufort, SC area.  Can anyone here help me find someone in the Beaufort, SC/ Hilton Head area?  Or even if you can tell me some other way to search, or point me in the direction of someone who knows, that would be helpful too.  Thank you!

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area but I hope someone will know.
LNLMommy
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry-no help here. I'm in NC and homebirth is not an option for me. I was fortunate enough to find a practice that included midwives and also the waterbirth option (which is fairly new for this area). It's in a different city from my home but it's worth the drive. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully someone here can help you!  I'm from WI so I'm not help, but I also have a 6, almost 4 and 2yr old :)

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM

bump!

nanny1918
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I lived in Beaufort SC for 10 years. I don't think it's a good idea you look as far as Hilton Head, in traffic that can be over an hour away. Maybe you can look on Lady's Island, that's closer.I had my son in Beaufort, I had a hard time finding an ob/gyn that excepted problem pregnancies. Beaufort is an old town, not a typical military town.I'm guessing you are military. I would check on base with the naval hospital to see if they can help you find someone.
Delaneysmom07
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I would prefer to have someone a lot closer than Hilton Head, especially since my labors tend to be quick.  But I am also accustomed to midwives not being plentiful in areas like this.  Here in NC, I had exactly 2 midwives to choose between -- one that was within a half hour, and another that was 2.5 hours away.  I was very blessed that the midwife who was closer was wonderful.  It worked out perfectly.  I started my research months before I got pregnant in order to find her (she could not advertise herself online or anything), and that's where I am now.

As far as I know, the laws are not friendly to homebirth midwifery down there, and I would expect that the last people who would want to help me are the ones who work at the naval hospital.  But who knows?  I have a lot more research to do. 

Quoting nanny1918: I lived in Beaufort SC for 10 years. I don't think it's a good idea you look as far as Hilton Head, in traffic that can be over an hour away. Maybe you can look on Lady's Island, that's closer.I had my son in Beaufort, I had a hard time finding an ob/gyn that excepted problem pregnancies. Beaufort is an old town, not a typical military town.I'm guessing you are military. I would check on base with the naval hospital to see if they can help you find someone.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group=)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Maybe see if you can find a local doula and they might be able to point you in the direction of a mw. 

Delaneysmom07
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Great idea, thanks!

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Maybe see if you can find a local doula and they might be able to point you in the direction of a mw. 

FeelingQueeny
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Would love to know if you ever found anyone? I live in that area and am curious about finding one as well. Charleston seems to be the closest option.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)