Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm a newbie and need advice! Edited Edited again. w/?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

Alright mamas, what are your best natural parenting tips & advice for newbies? (Share in any area)

Edit: my kids are 5 and 3.
Not Breastfeeding.

So cleaning products used?
Laundry detergent made for he washers?
Is the food all organic?
Best $ saving tips?
Etc things like this..

2nd Edit: Ladies i made my first bottle of white distilled vinegar, water mixture for cleaning! I dont mind the smell of vinegar but i know my husband wont be too thrilled about it, what can i use to deliute the scent a bit more other then water if anything?

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:25 AM
That's too broad a question!
So I'll give you these pieces of advice:
Follow your instincts as well as baby's
Avoid chemicals.

More specific questions would help get you more replies. :)

Welcome and good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
It would also help us to know how old your kids are. Natural parenting will be very different for infants than preteens. I see you are in the breastfeeding group which makes me think they might be pretty young. If so, check out askdrsears.com and look up the 7 Bs which include breast feeding, bed sharing, baby wearing and four other B points.

We can also help with a natural diet, non violent discipline, home made cleaners, etc etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Welcome to the group=)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM

My best advice is research. Also to start small so you don't feel overwhelmed. 

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I agree with PP - follow your instincts and start in the places you feel the most "pull"

Eating healthier was my first change, and it's made me so much better (a better mom, wife, and I just feel better).  The next was using natural remedies to treat illness and focusing on essential oils.  Then was reducing chemicals in our house, so I started making cleaners and whatnot - LOVE that!  There are a bunch of things on my list to get started on next...reducing toxic impact from plastics, fabrics, and other synthetic stuff that we come into contact with all the time, growing our own organic foods, and getting rid of our microwave!!

Let your instincts and your passion lead you - you will be more successful with your new path and you will find that one change just leads to another!  You'll be granola in no time!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM
That makes it easier! Thanks!

Cleaning is super easy and cheap. A simple all purpose cleaner is white distied vinegar. Equal parts vinegar and water will clean and disinfect anything. You can sprinkle baking soda on the surface for extra umpf, it's also a degreaser.
www.vinegartips.com

Some people make their own laundry and a Dishwasher detergents. I haven't had luck with that. I use cloth diaper approved detergents for laundry as it is less chemical ridden. I'll get you a list in a sec.

The best diet has whole and organic foods and little to no processed food. But this can be a huge change and there is a lot involved. I personally do. It get only organic food as I can't afford to, instead I buy prioritize the food and worst stuff I only get organic (peaches, strawberries, etc).

My advice to you is to take it slow so you don't get overwhelmed. These are just some basic things that are easy to start with. I have gotten to the point where my house is almost totally chemical free, including bath and beauty products and other toiletries, medicines, etc. I use a lot of food and EOs in daily living in lieu of the typical crap you might find in a typical American home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM
My laundry detergent resource
http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)