Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disappointed

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM
  • 8 Replies

I just learned that in my state midwives are not allowed to attend births in the hospital, no birthing centers in the state, and no at home births for fear os legal persocution. ths really upsets me bc this leaves us with three choices....

1- just strickly go with a OB and get a doula

2- convience a midwife to deliver the baby at home{not one my husband will go for likely}

3-have the baby out of state..{will have to find the nearest birthing center}

Corrections ladies they-midwives- are allowed to attend hopsital births the information I had yesterday was old but they ARE legally allowed to do so in my state:) I also foudn a well open minded OB and two midwives in the same practice I am signed up to see already so wish me luck:)

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
snowangel1979
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM
IDK it would depend on a lot of things. I'm really not any help. LOL.

With #1, you could possibly research and find a natural minded o.b and hospital. (I know that's not as easy as it sounds) and then have your doula to make sure your wishes are meet. You could also labor at home for as long as possible and just walk in when you feel the need to push or even have an UA.

With #2. If homebirths are illegal, I would be cautious of a midwife that is willing to break the law. Is she going to be qualified or is she going to be just some random person. what happens if something does go wrong. Is she going to be running to hide and trying to cover her behind, ect.

#3. It would depend on how far you are from state lines and how far the birthing center is. If your in labor, how long will it take to get there. What's that states vaccine and testing laws, ect. Your going to have to also remember that if you need a birth certificate in a hurry, you'll have to drive to that state/county.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
What she said. I'd definitely start by hunting for a natural friendly ob practice. Contact a doula you like and ask for referrals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robimom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

You can always just go to an OB, and have an unassisted homebirth. 

bamamommy2009
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Thank you:) Dh is not on key for this one but we have 8 months to turn him around lol

Quoting robimom:

robimom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I suggest doing LOTS of research on it, read lots of books and be prepared for a possible breech baby, or other scenarios. 

Quoting bamamommy2009:

Thank you:) Dh is not on key for this one but we have 8 months to turn him around lol

Quoting robimom:

TheMeanestMom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.mommypotamus.com/the-unassisted-hospital-birth-of-baby-j/

Not sure how this would go down everywhere, but I thought it was interesting and inspiring. She had an "uc" hospital birth.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Is aim for 2 but settle on 1 if that didn't work out, depending on how far you are from the state line.
JoJoBean8
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad you found a practice that works with what you want. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)