Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Turning breech babies with EOs... (?)

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM
  • 14 Replies

Has anyone had experience in turning breech babies with Essential Oils?!  (Jellyphish?)

http://www.mybreechbaby.org/essential-oils-for-breech-babies.html

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Not me but that would be great!
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Haven't tried it. Wouldn't do it.
If the reason the peppermint oil works is just because of the cooling aspect, why not use a pack of ice? My sister iced her back in the hospital because her sunny side up baby wasn't coming out, the ice turned him. So I do know it works.

I'm nursing now, but in a bit I'll look up myrrh. Generally speaking, the hormone balancing oils all need to be avoided during pregnancy because we don't want our hormones to be balanced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM
I wonder if there have been any studies on the ice thing. I know there was a study that did a ton of ultrasounds on women in labor and it showed that babies change positions a lot in labor, on their own. And that OP wasn't even associated with the feeling of "back labor".

Quoting jellyphish: Haven't tried it. Wouldn't do it.

If the reason the peppermint oil works is just because of the cooling aspect, why not use a pack of ice? My sister iced her back in the hospital because her sunny side up baby wasn't coming out, the ice turned him. So I do know it works.

I'm nursing now, but in a bit I'll look up myrrh. Generally speaking, the hormone balancing oils all need to be avoided during pregnancy because we don't want our hormones to be balanced.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

No idea. Here's a bump

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM
OP didn't say anything about back labor because she was talking about breech, my experience is with sunny side up.
Ice doesn't really need to be studied IMO, it either works or it doesn't, but it's not harmful. EOs, on the other hand, can easily be misused.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I wonder if there have been any studies on the ice thing. I know there was a study that did a ton of ultrasounds on women in labor and it showed that babies change positions a lot in labor, on their own. And that OP wasn't even associated with the feeling of "back labor".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Sorry if my abbreviation was confusing. OP in this case was meant to say occiput posterior which is the technical term for sunny side up. The only way we know if it works or not, is to study it. I just thought I'd ask if you knew of any research but if not, it's cool.

Quoting jellyphish: OP didn't say anything about back labor because she was talking about breech, my experience is with sunny side up.

Ice doesn't really need to be studied IMO, it either works or it doesn't, but it's not harmful. EOs, on the other hand, can easily be misused.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I wonder if there have been any studies on the ice thing. I know there was a study that did a ton of ultrasounds on women in labor and it showed that babies change positions a lot in labor, on their own. And that OP wasn't even associated with the feeling of "back labor".

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Oh! Haha! I was a bit confused, sorry. No I don't know of any studies. I haven't looked because it's never been relevant to me, and if it were I'd just do it. It'd be interesting to know if there were though.

Quoting SlapItHigh: Sorry if my abbreviation was confusing. OP in this case was meant to say occiput posterior which is the technical term for sunny side up. The only way we know if it works or not, is to study it. I just thought I'd ask if you knew of any research but if not, it's cool.

Quoting jellyphish: OP didn't say anything about back labor because she was talking about breech, my experience is with sunny side up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM
That was totally my bad. I get carried away with acronyms sometimes. It looked like I was saying the original poster. Any who, you are so right about potential risks with EOs so it makes way more sense to study that vs ice which is harmless.

Quoting jellyphish: Oh! Haha! I was a bit confused, sorry. No I don't know of any studies. I haven't looked because it's never been relevant to me, and if it were I'd just do it. It'd be interesting to know if there were though.

Quoting SlapItHigh: Sorry if my abbreviation was confusing. OP in this case was meant to say occiput posterior which is the technical term for sunny side up. The only way we know if it works or not, is to study it. I just thought I'd ask if you knew of any research but if not, it's cool.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I have NEVER heard of it!! Great idea though!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM

That's interesting, I've never heard of that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)