Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My newborn is using me as a binky...

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:17 PM
  • 37 Replies
I am breastfeed and sometimes he wants to nurse even though i know he can't possibly be hungry. I nurse him anyway because id feel terrible if he really was hungry and i didn't feed him. But is it ok for him to do this? He's 11 days old. Also, he bites. I know he doesn't have teeth but he'll clamp his gums down on my nipples and yowza it hurts. Does that mean he'll bite when he gets teeth?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never been able to breastfeed before.
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angiejones256
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:20 PM
U know what . Don't understand about nursing (I couldn't produce Milk so I couldn't nurse) how does one produce enough milk to fill up a baby I've been thinking. I'm just wondering please don't bash. :-) idk how it works.
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Congrats on 11 days. Nursing around the clock can be very common especially at this age. Whenever he wants it, I'd give it to him. It will help with your supply.

I'm sorry, I don't have much help on biting with a little one. I've heard when they're older you should remove them from the boob few a minute or so, just so they understand that they can't do that but I'm not sure if it would help at this age.

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It's what your body is made to do. How long did you try to nurse? Often times if a mom can't nurse, there is an issue with latch or possibly a lip/tongue tie.

Quoting angiejones256: U know what . Don't understand about nursing (I couldn't produce Milk so I couldn't nurse) how does one produce enough milk to fill up a baby I've been thinking. I'm just wondering please don't bash. :-) idk how it works.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Congrats mama!

Its normal for babies to comfort nurse at any age, and its a good thing! It helps with supply and bonding.

Second, when do you notice him clamp.down? When he's sleeping? or when you have a letdown?
AustinRonMommy
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Usually when he's sleeping.

Quoting Precious333: Congrats mama!

Its normal for babies to comfort nurse at any age, and its a good thing! It helps with supply and bonding.

Second, when do you notice him clamp.down? When he's sleeping? or when you have a letdown?
princess_peach
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

You are doing great mama! As previously maentioned, it is totally normal and ok for baby to comfort nurse. The more baby nurses now, the more milk you'll be able to make down the road even 6 months from now! Baby may also be having his 2 week growth spurt. This is when he will tell your body he is ready to have more milk.

As for the clamping...depending on when it's happening it could be a couple of different things, most of which can be addressed.

farmlovin
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:33 PM
Nurse on demand at this age. Helps with bonding, supply, and keeps baby happy.

Clamping down - once baby is asleep, slide your pinky in the side of his mouth and pop the latch. Only offer it back if he starts to fuss at you. It doesn't mean he'll bite later on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:33 PM
4 moms liked this
What they said.

Remember, he's not using you as a binky. Babies use binkies as a substitute for the breast, not the other way around.
To reiterate, because it's important, his behavior is normal, healthy, and beneficial. You're doing great!

As for the biting, hmm, that's tricky so young. Maybe gently stick your finger in his mouth and remove your nipple, but let him relatch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MargieGrooms
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I plan on breastfeeding and always get confused as to how you know how much milk the baby is actually getting? my BF just had her 2nd baby and is breastfeeding again. and she said that if you pump you get a third of what the baby gets. is this true? also, I noticed on my last visit to her she wasnt eating very well and it did effect her milk supply. Yikes about the clamping down, i do NOT look forward to that acpect of breastfeeding at all! 

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
It's vitally important to nurse any time baby wants (crying is a late stage signal) because breastfeeding works on supply and demand. This means that baby will want to nurse even when he is not hungry because his body knows that it needs to signal your body to produce more milk for an upcoming growth spurt. When women decide (or are told) not to nurse because baby isn't hungry then later when baby IS hungry, they won't have enough supply to keep up. Then they need to supplement which harms supply even more. Before you know it, mom's supply is so low that she quite and tells everyone that her body just doesn't make enough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)