Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Are you planning a garden this year?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM
  • 37 Replies

It's been so cold here that it's hard to think about a garden but I want to start planning mine soon. I need to figure out what I want to do this year and get the seeds ordered so they're ready when the ground and I are.

Are you planning a garden this year?

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM
I keep mine going year round so I'm still gardening now. It may be easier to list the things I don't plant, lol.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:22 PM

That must be so nice to live in a place where you can garden all year long.  Our garden season is so short.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I keep mine going year round so I'm still gardening now. It may be easier to list the things I don't plant, lol.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM
I'm in the US in zone 7b. Where are you? I have a book on year round gardening that teaches how to garden all year, regardless of how short a typical growing season is. But that takes some work beyond typical gardening.

We've been down into the teens but it hasn't seemed to have effected my winter crops other than my cilantro but even that appears to be making it through.

What are you thinking of planting in the spring?

Quoting Sarah725:

That must be so nice to live in a place where you can garden all year long.  Our garden season is so short.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I keep mine going year round so I'm still gardening now. It may be easier to list the things I don't plant, lol.

farmlovin
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Yes!! We dropped the ball last year and only got some peas planted. We'll be doing a ton of different things this year, raised beds, and I'll keep a garden journal so I know what worked, what needs work, and what needs to just go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM
I am determined to start a garden. I figured starting in the spring would be easiest but I have to idea what I'm doing. I work full time and will be doing this on my own. Any good books or websites to get me started?
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I am in zone 5a. We have a very small yard and rent now. I'm planning on taking a turtle sandbox filling it with dirt and planting strawberries.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I'm in the US in zone 7b. Where are you? I have a book on year round gardening that teaches how to garden all year, regardless of how short a typical growing season is. But that takes some work beyond typical gardening.

We've been down into the teens but it hasn't seemed to have effected my winter crops other than my cilantro but even that appears to be making it through.

Quoting Sarah725:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I don't know we always end up killing our garden halfway through the summer. we don't have green thumbs in this house. 

pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Yes, I am already planning it out in my head.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
That sounds like a great idea! I have been a pretty big failure with my attempts to grow strawberries. We are pretty sure our problem is turtles. A sandbox would prevent turtles from getting in. I might have to try the same thing :).

Quoting Sarah725:

I am in zone 5a. We have a very small yard and rent now. I'm planning on taking a turtle sandbox filling it with dirt and planting strawberries.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I'm in the US in zone 7b. Where are you? I have a book on year round gardening that teaches how to garden all year, regardless of how short a typical growing season is. But that takes some work beyond typical gardening.

Quoting Sarah725:

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Quoting farmlovin: Yes!! We dropped the ball last year and only got some peas planted. We'll be doing a ton of different things this year, raised beds, and I'll keep a garden journal so I know what worked, what needs work, and what needs to just go.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN