Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Dinner

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

So, someone recently posted about the benefits of eating dinner at the table as a family and it made me really start to ponder something.  

Dh and I have been on odd schedules for a while, but we do usually manage to eat at the same time.  It is usually in front of the TV though.  It's been just the two of us for a while and when we were first living together we had a tiny apartment that didn't even have a dining room, let alone a table.  We still do that now, despite that we do have a table.  

My question is, when did you start eating as a family at the table after you had your first kid?  DD is 7 months and we are planning on doing BLW.  She's had a few things here and there to try when she is really going above and beyond to show her interest in food, but I'm not rushing solids either (food before one is just for fun, right?).  Her highchair is in the kitchen and our table is in another room completely.  We could go through the process of moving everything each night, but it seems like a lot of effort considering that she isn't actually eating much right now and that dh would think I'm nuts.

Just curios to hear how others have handled this?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:54 PM

This is a good question.  I always remember eating as a family growing up and can really appreciate those moments now.  Right now our schedule is so off that we don't do this much but should make an effort to sit down as a family more.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM
We always ate at the table together from the first day we lived together. In the beginning my kids ate while sitting on my lap for dinner.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM
When my first started solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:12 PM
When first married, DH and I would sometimes eat at the dinner table and sometimes in front of the TV. (Omg it's 10 years this year!)

When DD came along we made more of an effort to eat at the table. Even well before she was eating. She would be in her bouncy (eek, god forbid against all parenting laws) on the table with us. We would set her in her high chair at the table with us when she was sitting and give her toys when she wasn't interested in food (which with her wasn't often).

I don't know, it just seems to me that certain associations start early, and the importance of family meal time made sense to me as one to start early. I can remember my family eating together since I was three.
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:19 PM
We eat at the table when the clean laundry is off of it lol. It's just me and dd for dinner a lot so we eat at a little table in living room. Sometimes when TV is on.. Oh we'll, she is still super smart and well behaved we do all eat together when papa is home though.
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Thanks ladies - good feedback.  We are moving soon - and I thinkI may use that as our starting point. I think it will help dh get on board as well. :)

by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:30 PM

We used to eat in front of the TV too. That's how my family did it growing up, and when my husband and I first moved in together we had a studio apartment and no room for a table, so we would sit on the bed and either watch TV or watch a show or movie on one of the computers. We kept that up when we bought our house too, since it was just what we had been doing.

Once our first was old enough to start eating, we started eating at the table. First we had everything arranged so we could still see the TV from the table (big open living room/dining room area), then eventually stuff got rearranged so we couldn't. It's better without the TV distraction because we can talk to each other, and it was a good habit to get into because of course babies don't stay babies, and my 2 year old never developed the association of eating while watching. It's a horrible habit I have developed over long years of eating in front of the TV... I can eat just fine without TV, but I watch anything I have this compulsion to eat. Like something is missing if I'm watching a show or a movie and not eating something. It makes me antsy and irritable, and it sucks.

by Jill - Admin on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM
We started eating together since we got married and I've always eaten dinner together when it was just my daughter and I. Now we eat as a family every day and we don't watch TV during it. I grew up eating dinner as a family. The kids eat every meal at the table.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)