Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iron Deficiency Help : MY TIPS from the Iron Princess

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

My grandfather, my father and I all suffer from pretty bad Iron-deficient Anemia. Being pregnant, makes this much worse and a big part of my diet during pregnancy is to enhance the already iron-rich diet I consume and add additional supplements.  I think it is interesting how many people are Iron-deficient and don't know it and how easy it is to live with.

Feeling tired, sluggish, irritable, exhausted? Headaches, blue tint in the whites of your eyes, brittle nails or woman with heavy bleeding during menstruation?  If you have any or all of these, you might ask your doctor to take a simple blood sample and examine the iron in your blood! In my case, my body doesn't absorb it well and aside from the symptoms above, it also makes pregnancy a 'journey'.

Some great ways to add iron into your diet and lifestyle are the following:

Iron Rich Foods:  (Most to lease in 3oz servings)

Beef (medium)

Oysters

Mollusk/Clams

Sardines

Chicken

Salmon

Beans

Pumpkin Seeds

Dried Apricots

Baked Potatoes

Nuts

Dried Raisins, prunes

Spinach

Sweet Potatoes

Broccoli

Artichokes

Eggs

And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.

Vit C:  Thyme, Dark Leafy Greens, Bell Peppers, Brussels sprouts, Oranges, Strawberries, Peppers, Lemon in Water!

Also, I only cook with cast-iron skillets! No Teflon in this house (and that isn't just a health tip for iron deficiency but overall health, make the switch!)

Supplements: I recommend Prune Juice, Floradix (drinkable iron supplement), Pure Ferrous Sulfate pills (take on an empty stomach and a few hours before eating and remember, it can cause upset stomach so I take mine before bed).

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

All good info, I didn't know about the blue tint in the while of the eye.   Also taking iron rich foods with Vit C, it's all good info, thank you!

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I was anemic for most of my adult life - but that finally changed when I made the switch to being a veggie!!  I think it was a huge difference to focus on eating whole foods.  I did struggle a little with anemia during pregnancy and made a few additional changes that seemed to make all the difference!  I used the iron skillet and I introduces farm pastured eggs.  I read a lot about how the b12 from true pastured eggs could make a big difference and it did!  :)

This is great info for anyone struggling - thanks so much for sharing!!

SlapItHigh
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Thanks for sharing!
Harleysmom213
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:06 AM

hmmm, i'm not iron defficient or anemic, but i have a lot of those symptoms. tired, headaches, irritable, heavy menstral bleeding. i'm probably on the low side of what is "normal/healthy." maybe my body has trouble absorbing the iron since i crave the vitamin c rich foods.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Good info. Tfs!
ParanormalSarah
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

That absolutely could be! I know I was changing my diet and taking supplements and realized I still wasn't seeing much change in my iron when getting blood drawn. Now I take the Vit C more and it helps a ton!

Quoting Harleysmom213:

hmmm, i'm not iron defficient or anemic, but i have a lot of those symptoms. tired, headaches, irritable, heavy menstral bleeding. i'm probably on the low side of what is "normal/healthy." maybe my body has trouble absorbing the iron since i crave the vitamin c rich foods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)