Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Engage baby - Baby Arrived Jan 25th

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:01 AM
  • 49 Replies
I started contracting on Friday night, contractions became closer together and longer throughout the day Saturday. After 18 hours of labor and contractions 2 minutes apart lasting up to 5 minutes (not very painful) I decided to go to hospital to check on baby.
I was only dilated to a 3 last they checked 10 hrs ago, but baby's head is not engaged in cervix, therefore contractions are not productive.
I am trying exercises from spinning babies to engage him, but nothing has worked yet.
Any suggestions, any experience with this? Fortunately dr knows I don't want drugs or augmentation so as of now baby gets monitored 20 minutes every four hours, no checks, no restrictions...
Help, I am tired haven't slept in two nights and afraid I will give in to intervention if this continues...

For this that haven't read through- I went home Sunday morning because I didn't want to be augmented, my OB encouraged that decision and never pushed me to augment. Got a chiropractic adjustment on my pelvis Monday morning, have done some walking and some exercises to engage baby, but mostly just resting, relaxing, waiting...

Update -
Today went to dr, he said I was making an excellent decision to wait for baby to come on his own (he is amazing and has won my trust as an OB). He checked my cervix, I am dilated to 4cm, baby is ENGAGED, and my bag of waters is bulging so much that he said he thinks it will break at any moment and active labor will begin quickly and progress relatively fast. I am not sure if I mentioned that I am having a VBAC (it is my second) so I have a lot if distrust for OB's in general. I am so happy with my OB, he has really proven himself to me at this point.

Thanks for the encouragement you ladies have given me as well. I will keep you updated.

Final update - baby is here

I have hesitated to post this because on Friday January 24th after a week of very slow labor/progress and decreased movement of my baby... And increased stress and worry over his health at 41 weeks 3 days I agreed to have my water broken.
It was a very difficult decision for me, and not without a few tears, as I had stuck to my decision not to speed the natural birth process along. I don't know if it was the best decision, but I had to come to a place where I had to weigh allowing nature to take it's course and the health of my baby. I didn't have concrete medical evidence that the baby was in distress but I had spent the previous two days feeling like something wasn't quite right and I decided I needed to listen to my intuition.

Labor progressed naturally from there with no augmentation. Within 8 hours I was in the birthing tub pushing and it seemed we would have a baby very shortly, but 45 minutes later we all knew something was not right. My baby's head was sideways and my cervix was completely swollen so baby would not come down the birth canal. My dr begged me to get an epidural so that I could stop pushing and rest for a little bit. I agreed, but they had trouble placing the epidural since I was contracting/ pushing and after 45 more minutes my dr used the vacuum to turn baby's head and I pushed him out. Amazingly I had no tearing, my dr was able to gently stretch me as he helped guide baby out. Baby was on my chest immediately and we delayed cord clamping, he transitioned pretty well, considering, although I requested he be suctioned after awhile because he was struggling to nurse and breath at the same time. After that he was fine.

Baby was engaged prior to my water being broken so I have no idea if things would have gone differently had we just waited for my water to break in its own.
Baby was definitely a 41 week baby, he was 7lbs 13oz and 20 inches long.

My VBAC with gestational diabetes was a success and I thank my doctor for that! Most would have sent me to the OR and would never have encouraged me to go past 41 weeks.

Matias Eero Pyykkonen is healthy and nursing like a champ! Already gaining weight!

Pic on page 5 of comments.
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Sounds like you might be experienceing prodromal labor.  It's a PAIN!  About the only positive is that you can practice relaxing and coping and then when it is the real thing, it won't be any worse.  :D

I'm sure other moms will have methods to help him engage.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Yup!

Quoting micheledo:

Sounds like you might be experienceing prodromal labor.  It's a PAIN!  About the only positive is that you can practice relaxing and coping and then when it is the real thing, it won't be any worse.  :D

I'm sure other moms will have methods to help him engage.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Too bad you have to be monitored because ur water hasn't broke yet so I would go home and relax as much as possible. Perhaps trying saying out loud to your body what you want to happen... In so many of Ina May's stories it worked believe it or not. Good luck mama not too much longer and you can meet your little one!!
swedemomma
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I would go home and relax. I had labor off and on 3 weeks. Made it to 7vm 3 weeks before Alex was ready to be born. When I was in active labor I would go see my midwife and make sure everything was fine. It was very tiring, but I am so happy he was born all natural at the time he was supposed to. I'm sure I would have caved if I went to hospital. Best of luck momma! 

mikkosmommy
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I am going home. My dr said why not if I wasn't going to be augmented no point in being at hospital. So I will go home rest, do the exercises to try and engage baby, and wait for active labor.

Quoting monalisasus: Too bad you have to be monitored because ur water hasn't broke yet so I would go home and relax as much as possible. Perhaps trying saying out loud to your body what you want to happen... In so many of Ina May's stories it worked believe it or not. Good luck mama not too much longer and you can meet your little one!!
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I was going to suggest this! It sounds like you have a pretty great dr!
GL, I hope you can get some food and sleep.

Quoting mikkosmommy: I am going home. My dr said why not if I wasn't going to be augmented no point in being at hospital. So I will go home rest, do the exercises to try and engage baby, and wait for active labor.

Quoting monalisasus: Too bad you have to be monitored because ur water hasn't broke yet so I would go home and relax as much as possible. Perhaps trying saying out loud to your body what you want to happen... In so many of Ina May's stories it worked believe it or not. Good luck mama not too much longer and you can meet your little one!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay for going home!

Do your best to relax.  Get rest as you are able.  I had a bout 5 weeks or so of prodromal labor with my 4th.  Thankfully only a few weeks with some of the others.  

How far along are you?  Hope you have a restful day.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Yep! Go home and relax. If you are ok.with its, have a small glass of wine. When you got some rest then walk up amd down stairs .do squats and lunges to help baby engage. Look at spinningbabies for other tips.

Quoting jellyphish: I was going to suggest this! It sounds like you have a pretty great dr!

GL, I hope you can get some food and sleep.

Quoting mikkosmommy: I am going home. My dr said why not if I wasn't going to be augmented no point in being at hospital. So I will go home rest, do the exercises to try and engage baby, and wait for active labor.

mikkosmommy
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 2:08 PM
I am 40 weeks 5 days... So I am not early term or anything and I have had several hour stretches of labor for several weeks... Just never had the contractions get to 1-2 minutes apart and lasting up to 5 minutes each (they had three peaks each the third being stronger than the first). I did not feel the contractions were strong enough to actually push baby out but I was concerned about the pattern lasting for hours and baby's response. He is doing fine though, just not ready to arrive.

Quoting micheledo:

Yay for going home!

Do your best to relax.  Get rest as you are able.  I had a bout 5 weeks or so of prodromal labor with my 4th.  Thankfully only a few weeks with some of the others.  

micheledo
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Yay!!  Well IF it is prodromal labor, sounds like you will only have a few days of it at most!  Hangi in there.

Quoting mikkosmommy: I am 40 weeks 5 days... So I am not early term or anything and I have had several hour stretches of labor for several weeks... Just never had the contractions get to 1-2 minutes apart and lasting up to 5 minutes each (they had three peaks each the third being stronger than the first). I did not feel the contractions were strong enough to actually push baby out but I was concerned about the pattern lasting for hours and baby's response. He is doing fine though, just not ready to arrive.

Quoting micheledo:

Yay for going home!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN