Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

New to group

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM
  • 15 Replies
Hello ladies! I'm Tiffany and I'm 18 weeks pregnant with my first. I'm wanting to have a natural childbirth.

Does anybody have any good resources they can share? I'm pretty nervous about labor and I think being overly prepared will help. Thank you!
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations and welcome!
This group is great resource for questions and birth stories.
I just watched videos on YouTube and it really helped.
My biggest piece of advice is to know what you want, write it down, and if you're not giving birth at home give birth plans to everyone and make sure your birth partner is strong and supportive and will stand up for you.

GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Welcome! My favorite resource would be a group just like this :).
DylsMom12
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Hello my name is Ian. I am a first time mom as well. My son just turned 1 the 12th. I breastfed the whole first year no formula. Labor wasn't really that bad..it lasted about 17 hours ughhh lol but I only got pitocin no epidural. I decided that I did not want one way before delivery and at the last minute I asked for one bcus i was tired of the pain lol and they took too long and I just gave birth. 

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:48 AM

I recommend hiring a doula. :)  She can guide you a bit and give you some suggestions on local resources...

tiffa5ny
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM
I would like to. I know they are huge advocates in helping to ensure a natural birth whenever possible, but the ob bill hurts enough already.
I did however sign up for a natural birthing class in march that I'm looking forward to.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I recommend hiring a doula. :)  She can guide you a bit and give you some suggestions on local resources...

tiffa5ny
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Hello Ian. :)
It's understandable that you asked for it after 17 hours. If I have back labor I'll probably end up asking for it by the end but I'm going to do the best that I can for as long as I can.

Quoting DylsMom12:

Hello my name is Ian. I am a first time mom as well. My son just turned 1 the 12th. I breastfed the whole first year no formula. Labor wasn't really that bad..it lasted about 17 hours ughhh lol but I only got pitocin no epidural. I decided that I did not want one way before delivery and at the last minute I asked for one bcus i was tired of the pain lol and they took too long and I just gave birth. 

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Choosing an OB is not your best bet to ensure a 100% natural childbirth.  They're surgeons and will push interventions, based on their education alone.  

They're trained to see the possible things that can go wrong in labor and take steps to prevent them before they happen.  You'll say that you don't want an epidural, and they'll tell you all the reasons why you should have one.  You'll say that you don't want your water broke, and they'll tell you all the reasons why you should consent.  You'll say you don't want an episiotomy, and they'll tell you all the reasons why your baby will die if you don't.  

A doula will support your birth plan and work to keep you on track during your labor.

If a natural birth is important to you, and you've chosen to birth in a hospital, a doula is the one thing you shouldn't worry about money on...  They are worth every penny.  

Many doulas completing their certification will offer their services for reduced fees or even free.  FREE!

doulamatch.net is one place to start your search.

Quoting tiffa5ny: I would like to. I know they are huge advocates in helping to ensure a natural birth whenever possible, but the ob bill hurts enough already.
I did however sign up for a natural birthing class in march that I'm looking forward to.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:15 AM

(And I'm speaking as a woman who had two hospital births, one c-section and one VBAC.  I KNOW first-hand what the OBs will "suggest" to women in labor, and it's often for their convenience and not for the benefit of the mother or baby).

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:36 AM
Have you gone to la leche league? I have seen moms connect with moms to be and "play" doula. It's sounds weird but in essence it is moms supporting moms. Good luck! I recently had a natural hospital birth, so liberating!!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Honestly back labor can be relieved in SO many ways.  Read up on the risks of epidurals. theres an article on peaceful parenting's website about them that changed my mind.  I have had 4 with epidurals and 1 without.  I know that going into birth with epidural as a choice is why I had them.

Quoting tiffa5ny: Hello Ian. :)
It's understandable that you asked for it after 17 hours. If I have back labor I'll probably end up asking for it by the end but I'm going to do the best that I can for as long as I can.

Quoting DylsMom12:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)