Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SOS!!! Need HELP PLEASE!!!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:50 AM
  • 38 Replies

So I am having MAJOR trouble getting baby landon(5 months old) to sleep in his own bed and need advice on how to do it... Let me explain...

See I have been bed sharing with baby as well as letting him(when he will) sleep in his bouncy seat both during nap times and at night time....

Well in doing both of these I feel as that I have(pardon me but) fucked up big time...

I am looking for help/advice in breaking this cycle that I have going of baby being attached to my hip if you will... I am very unsure of how to go about breaking him of his lil pattern he has going....

Is there anyone out there who can give me advice on how to get him to sleep in his own bed?(detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated too btw)

If anyone could help me out on this and give me any advice I'd greatly appricate it because baby is out growing his bouncy seat and idk what to do when he does...

PLEAE HELP! ! !

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM

First of all, you haven't messed up.  It's only our modern society that has this weird notion of independence for an infant.  Wanting to be close to you is completely natural and normal.  :)

However, if you want to get baby sleeping in his own bed . . . well. . . aside from CIO it is a long process.

I usually start with naps in their own bed and the beginning of bedtime.  I put them down in their own bed (usually sound asleep at that age) and then when they wake up to nurse they move to my bed.  It will be a long time before he is sleeping through the night and won't need you.

It's entirely your choice if you want to get up and nurse all night long or just bring him to your own bed.  With 6 kids, I get a lot more sleep if I keep the baby in bed with me.  :D

Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Well Thank you... But see my problem that I am running into is that he wakes up everytime I put him down to bed(and with the bouncy seat he usually quickly goes back to sleep on his own..) and when he wakes up like that when i put him down it's impossible to get him back to sleep in the bed at all(does that make since)

I feel like i'm not being very clear here... But I mean it is near impossible for me sometmes to put him down and get any time alone or whatever... (idk how else to say it really) don't get me wrong i love baby but i just feel like it is time to start getting used to not being held all the time...

And i'm totally unsure of the CIO medthod, not sure how long to let him cry and when to just give up if at all and hold him or lay with him or what have you to get him to sleep...

idk maybe it' just me wanting a lil more alone time after 5 months of having a baby attached to my hip... maybe it's dh saying that i'm spoiling baby by holding so much and sleeping with him ect... (granted he's having second thoughts now too but I just want to get started on getting him used to sleeping without mommy...)

How long do I let him lay and cry(with checking on him every few mins) before I give in and hold him or whatever?

Quoting micheledo:

First of all, you haven't messed up.  It's only our modern society that has this weird notion of independence for an infant.  Wanting to be close to you is completely natural and normal.  :)

However, if you want to get baby sleeping in his own bed . . . well. . . aside from CIO it is a long process.

I usually start with naps in their own bed and the beginning of bedtime.  I put them down in their own bed (usually sound asleep at that age) and then when they wake up to nurse they move to my bed.  It will be a long time before he is sleeping through the night and won't need you.

It's entirely your choice if you want to get up and nurse all night long or just bring him to your own bed.  With 6 kids, I get a lot more sleep if I keep the baby in bed with me.  :D

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM
3 moms liked this
If it works for you, continue to co sleep. It's heathy, normal, and extremely beneficial- both physically and emotionally- for both of you.
You did not fuck up, you've been meeting his needs and that's mommy duty #1!

If there is a reason you can't co sleep, try falling asleep with him then leave the bed when he's almost fully asleep. Check out the book No Cry Sleep Solution. And above all, remember that he five months old, he's not messed up, he's just behaving like a five month old! Good job, mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with what jellyphish said above.  

Don't listen to SO and what he is saying.  You have NOT messed him up.

If you really want to get him to sleep without you there, try what jellyphish said.  And keep trying to lay him in the crib once he is completely out.  One day he WILL stay asleep.  :)  There is just no way of knowing when that is.

I wouldn't do CIO at all.  ESPECIALLY not as a 5 month old.

Have you tried bouncing the mattress to 'rock' him back to sleep??

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this
CIO is damaging.

You can find more info about CIO and co sleeping at askdrsears.com.

I definitely definitely recommend that book, it will help both you and so understand what's going on in his tiny little brain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Quoting jellyphish: CIO is damaging.

You can find more info about CIO and co sleeping at askdrsears.com.

I definitely definitely recommend that book, it will help both you and so understand what's going on in his tiny little brain.

Thank you. I will diffently look there(even thu i've grown to hate the internet at this point.) Hopefully I can find some facts that I need. Thank you...

tairakittie
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Can you wear him? Maybe it will help him transition to his own bed if he gets plenty if YOU time. Wait til his is asleep on you, then gently lay him in his bed. If he fuses, you rub his back, cheeck, forehead, whatever to try to get him to fall asleep. If he gets too upset, pick him back up and wear him until he is asleep again.
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Quoting tairakittie: Can you wear him? Maybe it will help him transition to his own bed if he gets plenty if YOU time. Wait til his is asleep on you, then gently lay him in his bed. If he fuses, you rub his back, cheeck, forehead, whatever to try to get him to fall asleep. If he gets too upset, pick him back up and wear him until he is asleep again.

Actually I've had trouble with this as well since he was born(he hates being in the carrier) won't stay in there for nothing without throwing a fit so for the past 5 months or so I've been figureing out how to carry him around with me and such and get stuff done while keeping him happy... idk what to do, if anything about that and i don't have the money buy anohter one either...

idk what to do about it all at this point... not sure how attached he should be to me...

tairakittie
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM
What kind do you have?

Quoting Sun_Shine_990:

Quoting tairakittie: Can you wear him? Maybe it will help him transition to his own bed if he gets plenty if YOU time. Wait til his is asleep on you, then gently lay him in his bed. If he fuses, you rub his back, cheeck, forehead, whatever to try to get him to fall asleep. If he gets too upset, pick him back up and wear him until he is asleep again.

Actually I've had trouble with this as well since he was born(he hates being in the carrier) won't stay in there for nothing without throwing a fit so for the past 5 months or so I've been figureing out how to carry him around with me and such and get stuff done while keeping him happy... idk what to do, if anything about that and i don't have the money buy anohter one either...

idk what to do about it all at this point... not sure how attached he should be to me...

Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I believe it's called a mia tie...

Quoting tairakittie: What kind do you have?

Quoting Sun_Shine_990:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)