Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

DIY lip balm

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:52 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 4 year old has horribly chapped lips. I want a balm that has no lanolin or beeswax and figured I could probably make my own. I was just gonna mix a drop of vanilla into some coconut oil. Will that work?
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't use vanilla extract, since it's meant for food. I would use an essential oil. I like peppermint and orange, myself.
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

look for cocoa butter, it's what I used to use when I was little, it's the best

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:03 AM
3 moms liked this
Nope. EOs are not meant to be ingested like that, especially so young. Food is meant to be ingested, so vanilla extract is fine, actually.

Coconut oil by itself is great. Though chapped lips comes from dehydration, babe needs more fluids and/or oils.

Quoting schultzal: I wouldn't use vanilla extract, since it's meant for food. I would use an essential oil. I like peppermint and orange, myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:11 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to get her to drink more water. Also only packing fruits and veggies for snack. I might put a splash of juice in her water bottle for a few days for encouragement lol

Quoting jellyphish: Nope. EOs are not meant to be ingested like that, especially so young. Food is meant to be ingested, so vanilla extract is fine, actually.

Coconut oil by itself is great. Though chapped lips comes from dehydration, babe needs more fluids and/or oils.

Quoting schultzal: I wouldn't use vanilla extract, since it's meant for food. I would use an essential oil. I like peppermint and orange, myself.
GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Don't forget that home-made popsicles are a great way to keep fluids flowing!

We soak chia in juice and then freeze it...  The 2.5 year old thinks they're great!

Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:23 AM
Omg awesome idea! Didn't even think of it!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

We soak chia in juice and then freeze it...  The 2.5 year old thinks they're great!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Quoting GoodyBrook:

great idea!
quirky_mama
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

coconut oil...that's it! It works and it's edible. I started getting really chapped lips and I didn't have any lip balm in the house. Used the coconut oil (you will have to keep reapplying) and it worked. Within 2 days my lips were no longer in danger of cracking and bleeding and it's been 3 days any they're back to normal.  

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Coconut oil will work! My kids get chapped lips from licking their lips when it's cold or really cold weather.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN