Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM
  • 14 Replies
If you have a natural birth in the hospital , are you allowed to eat ? If no , why not ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM

It really depends on the hospital and your doctor.  Mostly the hospital.  YOu would have to check their policy.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:22 PM
I wasn't.
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Allowed? Usually no - reason #1 being what if they have to do a c-section? #2 being they can drain all your energy and try to force you into a c-section.

Basically anything see-through.

Talk to your doctor, he/she may allow you to but you'll need prior permission to believe anything. I can't imagine they'll get physical if you just start eating though...

Maria_Peanut
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM
My last labor i couldnt even have apple juice :( But it wasnt natural . Im gonna eat before we leave for the hospital but if i have another long labor i would love a snack .

I'll talk to my doc at the next appointment.

Quoting Momma2013:

Allowed? Usually no - reason #1 being what if they have to do a c-section? #2 being they can drain all your energy and try to force you into a c-section.

Basically anything see-through.

Talk to your doctor, he/she may allow you to but you'll need prior permission to believe anything. I can't imagine they'll get physical if you just start eating though...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM

If you think you will want to eat take some snacks in with you.  Whoever is with you can give them to you when the nurses are out of the room.  What are they going to do if you eat??  Yell at you, but that is it.

I never eat when in labor and have no desire to!  Even though my midwife recommends having food on hand.  NO thank you!  :D

Maria_Peanut
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM
When i was in labor with my DD i wanted food so badly ! Thats a good idea , i'll pack a few snacks.

Quoting micheledo:

If you think you will want to eat take some snacks in with you.  Whoever is with you can give them to you when the nurses are out of the room.  What are they going to do if you eat??  Yell at you, but that is it.

I never eat when in labor and have no desire to!  Even though my midwife recommends having food on hand.  NO thank you!  :D

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Most places don't want you to. It just depends on the hospital and the doctor. And on the nurses!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM

This is what I did. I packed snacks and drinks in my bags and snuck them lol!

Quoting Maria_Peanut: When i was in labor with my DD i wanted food so badly ! Thats a good idea , i'll pack a few snacks.

Quoting micheledo:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM
They can't stop you from eating. You might be met with a bit of a fight and they might tell you you're not allowed, but you are in control of your body, not them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM

All hospitals are different...my friend ate while she had an epidural and pitocin, I had nothing and was not allowed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)