Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cutting costs

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know most of use try to eat as healthy as possible but we all know how expensive that can be! I thought we could add our pointers or cheap healthy meals and help each other out a little. 

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I'd like to know too! Lol
Khelmoria
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We buy bulk beans and make hummus and refried beans...which you can do so much with. we eat a lot of rice and try to make everything from scratch. 

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I guess my only tip is to buy in large quantites what you can and make everything from scratch. Even most of my seasonings I dehydrate and put through the food processor and create my own blends. We make our own sauces and snacks. I also make our lotions and soaps and other beauty type products, that helps with cost too. But  I think these are all things a lot of ladies in here already do.

vmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I tried to cook dry  beans in a crockpot from this recipe, but they came out so dry =( 

Quoting Khelmoria:

We buy bulk beans and make hummus and refried beans...which you can do so much with. we eat a lot of rice and try to make everything from scratch. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Home made almond milk.
Home made cleaning supplies and bath products.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Khelmoria
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I wash and boil beans for about half an hour let them sit for at least an hour drian and then cook until tender (times vary) I then put them through the food processor with garlic or other seasonings if I want. do not forget to salt both the first and second time you cook them.

Quoting vmommy:

I tried to cook dry  beans in a crockpot from this recipe, but they came out so dry =( 

Quoting Khelmoria:

monalisasus
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I use homemade cleaners. I cook from scratch and freeze some. I also tend to eat things that are in season and cheaper. Bulk rice at Costco is awesome to go with lots of things.
monalisasus
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Not getting my hair done, nails done, not buying clothes, not buying beer etc gives us money to buy better food. I give my dd her haircuts and alter her clothes. We choose food as a high priority in my house but we are spoiled in the summer being part of the farmers market and trading goods. We are currently putting in a tankless hot water heater which will save us 50 a month all the little things help open our food budget.?
Sarah725
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Yes I get bulk rice from Costco also, it's great.

Quoting monalisasus: I use homemade cleaners. I cook from scratch and freeze some. I also tend to eat things that are in season and cheaper. Bulk rice at Costco is awesome to go with lots of things.

Sarah725
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM

This isn't really a healthy thing but I've been trying to budget for groceries better.  $100/week making meal plans and grocery list before I leave the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN