Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Cutting costs

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know most of use try to eat as healthy as possible but we all know how expensive that can be! I thought we could add our pointers or cheap healthy meals and help each other out a little. 

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I'd like to know too! Lol
Khelmoria
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We buy bulk beans and make hummus and refried beans...which you can do so much with. we eat a lot of rice and try to make everything from scratch. 

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I guess my only tip is to buy in large quantites what you can and make everything from scratch. Even most of my seasonings I dehydrate and put through the food processor and create my own blends. We make our own sauces and snacks. I also make our lotions and soaps and other beauty type products, that helps with cost too. But  I think these are all things a lot of ladies in here already do.

vmommy
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I tried to cook dry  beans in a crockpot from this recipe, but they came out so dry =( 

Quoting Khelmoria:

We buy bulk beans and make hummus and refried beans...which you can do so much with. we eat a lot of rice and try to make everything from scratch. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Home made almond milk.
Home made cleaning supplies and bath products.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Khelmoria
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I wash and boil beans for about half an hour let them sit for at least an hour drian and then cook until tender (times vary) I then put them through the food processor with garlic or other seasonings if I want. do not forget to salt both the first and second time you cook them.

Quoting vmommy:

I tried to cook dry  beans in a crockpot from this recipe, but they came out so dry =( 

Quoting Khelmoria:

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I use homemade cleaners. I cook from scratch and freeze some. I also tend to eat things that are in season and cheaper. Bulk rice at Costco is awesome to go with lots of things.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Not getting my hair done, nails done, not buying clothes, not buying beer etc gives us money to buy better food. I give my dd her haircuts and alter her clothes. We choose food as a high priority in my house but we are spoiled in the summer being part of the farmers market and trading goods. We are currently putting in a tankless hot water heater which will save us 50 a month all the little things help open our food budget.?
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Yes I get bulk rice from Costco also, it's great.

Quoting monalisasus: I use homemade cleaners. I cook from scratch and freeze some. I also tend to eat things that are in season and cheaper. Bulk rice at Costco is awesome to go with lots of things.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM

This isn't really a healthy thing but I've been trying to budget for groceries better.  $100/week making meal plans and grocery list before I leave the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)