Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Doula

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  • 9 Replies
Soy mom offered to pay for a doula for me... Last birth was my first and a homebirth and my midwife trainer was my favorite person because she kinda acted like a doula with aroma therapy and just being there with my while my midwives gossiped in the next room.. I am having a homebirth again and I worry I just won't be comfortable with a newer person since I'm kinda an introvert... Thoughts???? Also are there any good reasons not to get the group b test.. My midwives says it gives me more option to know if I end up in the hospital.
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM
I think doulas are great even for introverts. I don't do the group B test. My MWs don't even offer it.
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM
If you liked your last midwife, why not just go with her again? I didnt ger a doula because I didnt feel I needed one with my homebirths. My dh was.awesome and so were my midwives, so a doula probably would have been just an.extra person.

I did tue group b strep because it would be able to rule.it out in case of an emergancy, plus most midwives will allow you do do it yourself.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM

A doula shouldn't feel like a newer person, you should meet with her several times by labor and be very comfortable with her.  I always did the group b test and have always been negative luckily.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM
Different midwife this time sorry. I will talk to her Monday and see how hands off she is. My dh works with a doula so we could meet up before I guess to get to know each other.
Pitap
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM
If your mom offered to pay for a doula, I say go for it. Interview a few to see if you click with any, ask lots of questions, think of reasons you want a doula and talk to potential doulas about their role. Do you want her to give you ideas on pain management, do you want her to massage your back all through contractions, do you want her to keep the water in your birthing tub warm, do you want her to help keep hubby involved... even if you are an introvert there's things she can help with. Get to know her so you're comfortable with her when it's time :)
Pitap
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Oh and if your midwife offers a Group b strep test, I say go for it too. You can still have a homebirth, just have to do a Hibicleanse douche regimen before baby comes... talk more with your mw about it.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm gonna do the test sounds like I have more options knowing the results...

Quoting Pitap: Oh and if your midwife offers a Group b strep test, I say go for it too. You can still have a homebirth, just have to do a Hibicleanse douche regimen before baby comes... talk more with your mw about it.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Reading all that it is what my dh did for me last time but he got so tired so it might be nice to have someone else there... I also want aroma therapy

Quoting Pitap: If your mom offered to pay for a doula, I say go for it. Interview a few to see if you click with any, ask lots of questions, think of reasons you want a doula and talk to potential doulas about their role. Do you want her to give you ideas on pain management, do you want her to massage your back all through contractions, do you want her to keep the water in your birthing tub warm, do you want her to help keep hubby involved... even if you are an introvert there's things she can help with. Get to know her so you're comfortable with her when it's time :)
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I would meet a few doulas. You may click with one and they won't feel like a stranger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)