Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Store Bought made from Scratch

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am trying to revamp what we eat. Now I wouldn't say that we're the worst eaters because 95% of our dinners are homemade (the rest we take out, but from real food, not fast food except Chipotle or mom and pop places.

We REALLY struggle eating healthy for lunch. Our staple foods are frozen chicken and fries, Annies mac n' cheese, PB&J, etc. Lunch for me needs to be quick. I don't want to prep a bunch of stuff and make a mess. 

I am going to learn how to can so I can make big batches of things and keep them. Like jelly, I am going to eat it so I might as well make it. Peanut butter and so on.

What do you think people commonly buy that they can make at home and use to be healthier?

Share ideas and recipes with me!

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I like to can applesauce, I'd love to start canning Jelly.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM
For lunches, leftovers from dinner!

As for the question, I'm thinking fermented salsa, fermented veggies, etc.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:30 AM

I had the same thought as SlapItHigh:  Why not eat dinner leftovers for lunch the next day?  (Make two lasagnas instead of one, and warm the second up for lunch).

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:21 AM
We make as much as we eat and when there are left overs they go to work with SO. I can't stomach the thought of left overs to be honest. Very seldom like with pizza or maybe soup.

I was also thinking about other alternatives not just things I can can. I am unsure about canned veggies, I'd rather just buy frozen.

Quoting SlapItHigh: For lunches, leftovers from dinner!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:06 PM

We do breakfast a lot for lunch.

SaraCate
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

In the winter, I make big batches of soup and freeze them in smaller portions (butternut, broccoli, curried cauliflower, etc.)  Lunches are often soup and a sandwich - frequently, homemade chicken salad or egg salad.  

Sometimes green salads, esp. in summer/spring.  Prep ingredients to build your own and it's quick.  Grain based salads are nice in winter, and some can be eaten warm. 

You can buy unsweetened/peanut only PB.

Particularly in warmer seasons, we often do cheese/crackers/raw veggies for lunch.  Or hummuw, whole grain pita, and veggies.  Quick and healthy.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM
What's the difference between making big batches of stuff so you can keep it (what you are asking for in the OP) and making a bigger batch of dinner and keeping the rest? I guess I don't understand what you are looking for with your question.

Quoting notjstanothrmom: We make as much as we eat and when there are left overs they go to work with SO. I can't stomach the thought of left overs to be honest. Very seldom like with pizza or maybe soup.

I was also thinking about other alternatives not just things I can can. I am unsure about canned veggies, I'd rather just buy frozen.

tairakittie
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Soups and stews, burritos, pancakes/waffles, premake pizza dough and make fresh pizza, quesadillas. They can all pretty much be refridgerated or put in the freezer to use through the week.
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I was asking (or at least trying to get across) for things that you'd buy in the store but can easily make at home healthier. Like peanut butter, jelly, preservative free chicken nuggets, etc.

Canning or freezing is different to me then putting stuff in a container cooked and then having soggy stuff put together and then having to dirty dishes just to heat it and eat it.

Quoting SlapItHigh: What's the difference between making big batches of stuff so you can keep it (what you are asking for in the OP) and making a bigger batch of dinner and keeping the rest? I guess I don't understand what you are looking for with your question.

Quoting notjstanothrmom: We make as much as we eat and when there are left overs they go to work with SO. I can't stomach the thought of left overs to be honest. Very seldom like with pizza or maybe soup.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM
So you are wanting ideas for condiments and frozen food? There are plenty of leftovers that aren't soggy, lol. You also have to have the exact same concerns for frozen foods as many things don't freeze well. At a minimum, the same amount of containers and dirty dishes are required for leftovers vs making condiments and frozen food. Except for most condiments and frozen food prep and eventual consumption will actually require more dirty containers/dishes. We don't buy frozen chicken nuggets in the first place. One thing I have done is make large batches of breakfast burritos and freeze for breakfasts. I guess you could do the same thing for lunches. You can also do the same thing with dinner leftovers. Just double the amount you make for dinner and freeZe the rest if it's something that freezes well. Usually once a week we grill a large batch of chicken and freeze what we don't eat that night. Then we have ready to eat frozen chicken that we can pull out for quick dinners and lunches.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I was asking (or at least trying to get across) for things that you'd buy in the store but can easily make at home healthier. Like peanut butter, jelly, preservative free chicken nuggets, etc.

Canning or freezing is different to me then putting stuff in a container cooked and then having soggy stuff put together and then having to dirty dishes just to heat it and eat it.

Quoting SlapItHigh: What's the difference between making big batches of stuff so you can keep it (what you are asking for in the OP) and making a bigger batch of dinner and keeping the rest? I guess I don't understand what you are looking for with your question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)