Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I am trying to revamp what we eat. Now I wouldn't say that we're the worst eaters because 95% of our dinners are homemade (the rest we take out, but from real food, not fast food except Chipotle or mom and pop places.

We REALLY struggle eating healthy for lunch. Our staple foods are frozen chicken and fries, Annies mac n' cheese, PB&J, etc. Lunch for me needs to be quick. I don't want to prep a bunch of stuff and make a mess. 

I am going to learn how to can so I can make big batches of things and keep them. Like jelly, I am going to eat it so I might as well make it. Peanut butter and so on.

What do you think people commonly buy that they can make at home and use to be healthier?

Share ideas and recipes with me!

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Replies (11-18):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:07 AM
We make extra for dinner to eat for lunch. That's mostly what we do for lunch time and it's much easier.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Quick for me at lunch is a hummus quesadilla (my dd prefers no cheese) on a wheat tortilla. I also think leftovers make the best lunches.
Mantidae
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Vegetable broth - incredibly easy to make, gets you added value out of your veggies, and is great in soooooo many recipies (I like to make rice with vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor and nutrition), plus if you make it yourself if can be no sodium! 

http://www.urbanearthworm.org/2012/05/10/homemade-vegetable-broth/

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, nearly vegan, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (11), the cutest little boy ever born (3), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM

We do a lot of left overs from dinner for lunch as well.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Bread can be made at home, muffins, 

angelchewning
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
This may be useless info for you but I like to take one of my weekend days, give the baby to daddy and cook a bunch of easy meals and put them all in Tupperware for lunches throughout the week for dh and myself. Then I make meals I can freeze or fridge for dinners throughout the week. One WHOLE day off cooking and we eat for a full week! No takeout, no problem!
shoot4thestars
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I've been making things from scratch for a while now.  I learn one thing at a time and I may go months in between learning how to make things.  If I force myself to do it all at once, I get overwhelmed and give up.  But I keep a list of things I would like to learn one day.  The most recent thing I started making homemade is applesauce.  It's super easy.  Peanut butter is next on my list.  For lunch, I buy a big batch of chicken and make chicken nuggets and freeze them.  I also do this with french fries, sweet potato fries and meatballs.   Make a big batch of soup and chili for dinner and leave some for leftovers and then freeze the rest of later.  Sometimes I'll make toasted cheese sandwiches for lunch and cut up spinach and put it in the cheese for added nutrition.  Whole grain pita wraps, I'll put meat, spinach and cheese and then put hummus or avocado for a spread.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Great idea and I'm the same way about trying new recipes lol. I also just started making my own applesauce. It's so good

Quoting shoot4thestars:

I've been making things from scratch for a while now.  I learn one thing at a time and I may go months in between learning how to make things.  If I force myself to do it all at once, I get overwhelmed and give up.  But I keep a list of things I would like to learn one day.  The most recent thing I started making homemade is applesauce.  It's super easy.  Peanut butter is next on my list.  For lunch, I buy a big batch of chicken and make chicken nuggets and freeze them.  I also do this with french fries, sweet potato fries and meatballs.   Make a big batch of soup and chili for dinner and leave some for leftovers and then freeze the rest of later.  Sometimes I'll make toasted cheese sandwiches for lunch and cut up spinach and put it in the cheese for added nutrition.  Whole grain pita wraps, I'll put meat, spinach and cheese and then put hummus or avocado for a spread.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)