Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Yeast help

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:45 AM
  • 9 Replies
I think my 3 mo old has a yeast rash. I'm pretty sure that is what it is and my nipples started hurting today. I cloth diaper and use washable breast pads. I read to wash them in vinegar to kill the yeast. Is this true? Normal cycle with hot water and extra rinse?

Also I read I can give him a bath with vinegar and then air dry for at least 30 min. Is this true? Do I wash my nipples with vinegar too?

I have switched us both to disposables for now. I had his rash almost all cleared up with balmex and disposables. I put his cloth back on him yesterday and rash was back and worse.

Any more advice? He's my 3rd kid and never have dealt with this before.
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Personally, I would never put vinegar on a baby's yeast rash.  The ones my LOs have had are open and oozy, and I can't imagine the pain that ACV would cause...

OTC athlete's foot medicine took care of it overnight.  I'm sure there are other methods, but this one was fast and worked for us.

GL!

swedemomma
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:14 AM
I will try the athlete foot medicine. Thank you! Any suggestions on treating my nipples? Do you know if the vinegar will kill yeast on the diapers?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Personally, I would never put vinegar on a baby's yeast rash.  The ones my LOs have had are open and oozy, and I can't imagine the pain that ACV would cause...

OTC athlete's foot medicine took care of it overnight.  I'm sure there are other methods, but this one was fast and worked for us.

GL!

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM
I would put plain yogurt on baby and use tea tree oil when wiping and coconut oil in between. Wash your breasts in a solution of 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water. If baby's bum is not too sore that would be good too. If baby has a yeast rash baby may also have it in their mouth and you'll have to treat that or treating yourself won't do much. Also after you wash your nipples and let air dry apply coconut oil.

As for diapers and breast pads. Washing in vinegar is okay, but yeast is an exception where I'd skip the vinegar and go straight to bleach. Bleach will kill it, in small amounts won't hurt your diapers, and is still way better than the bleach and other stuff in disposables.
spitfire06
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:34 AM
If you want all natural you can use vinegar on your nipples butt I would not put it on baby bc that will hurt. I go to the dr about yeast infections but you can use coconut oil on too and baby if it's not looking better on baby it's important to go to dr. Kellymom.com had great advice about battling thrush and yeast!I used genitcian violet to get rid of dd and I's thrush it was bad though and the nystatin made it worse. If u do use gv make sure u put coconut oil on babys face! It stains badly check out the breastfeeding mamas group they have amazing advice as well on thrush=)
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Vinegar will sting like a mofo. I'd use TTO in coconut oil, personally.
The diapers, from what I understand, need to be bleached in the sun or with standard bleach. I tried a lot of things to fight yeastie diapers, and that was the only thing that worked.

GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Putting vinegar on your nipples and letting them air dry will help. I have done athlete's foot cream on yeast rashes. It clears it up quickly.

swedemomma
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Thank you all so much! I love this group.
angelchewning
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Call dr and get an APNO for yourself! BEST THING EVER! and you can do athletes foot cream (lotrimin) on baby's butt and you can do gentian violet on your nipples just before nursing...IT STAINS! but it works! vinegar: YES for washing things in  it on hottest settings, YES for on your nipples, NO for baby's butt. keep his rash and your nipple clean and dry at all times (except for whatever treatment you are using)

angelchewning
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM

oh yea, and start taking probiotics...i hope you both feel better soon! I HATE thrush.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)