Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hi all, I had an amazing natural birth after a traumatic c section, however this was done in England where I am from. I moved here last year and now desperately seeking advise on the likelihood of vbac number 2. My doctor already refused to help me and I feel like everyone is pushing for another section. Any success stories out there?? :)

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Replies (11-18):
outstandingLove
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:18 AM

I am planning a HBAC right now. Each area is different. In my area, once a section always a section UNLESS you plan a home birth. Or, you can drive 3 hours to the closest VBAC accepting hospital.

A midwife will likely be more willing to offer you a VBAC or give you appropriate information on where you can have a hosptial VBAC if that's what you're looking for.

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Quoting kajira:

MAn I feel for you, Im pregnant with twins and fighting for a vaginal birth, even though I've never even HAD a c-section, they just want to auto-csection me.

I'm fighting for it and i've already been told, by both midwives and the dr's in my area i'm moving that if I have a c-section, they won't do vbacs. ^.^

Ugh. Know your rights, if you go into the hospital in labor and refuse a c-section and are in active labor, they can't force you to consent to surgery, they'll have to deliver you.

But if you do choose this route, OP, make sure you take a well-informed support team with you, including a doula!

Kajira:  The hospital that I found for my VBAC induction also welcomes vaginal birth of multiples!  (Though to be fair, I did speak with a mom of premie twins at the RMH we were staying at, and she said she delivered one vaginally and then the resident sectioned her for the second because it was breech.  So don't think this is a mecca for all birth situations!)  

Why can't we all just be given the benefit of doubt to allow our bodies to do what they were designed to do?!

kajira
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I've already talked to my doctor on how to handle it if one of my babies is breech. I wont' consent to a c-section for breech. ^.^ But, I've got a proven pelvis and my daughter was almost born breech vaginally, but flipped last minute. My doctor is willing to deliver me vaginally if both are head down. If not, he'll transfer me to a hospital where an attending physician can do "difficult" delivers vaginally... which would be my best chance at delivering the second baby breech. I won't consent to a c-section unless baby's in distress. Breech to me is not a good enough reason. (I was born breech, as was my aunt.) I'm very leery of consenting to a c-section with out proof the babies in distress.

I did do my homework, and I would hope anyone on this group would do their research too! 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting kajira:

MAn I feel for you, Im pregnant with twins and fighting for a vaginal birth, even though I've never even HAD a c-section, they just want to auto-csection me.

I'm fighting for it and i've already been told, by both midwives and the dr's in my area i'm moving that if I have a c-section, they won't do vbacs. ^.^

Ugh. Know your rights, if you go into the hospital in labor and refuse a c-section and are in active labor, they can't force you to consent to surgery, they'll have to deliver you.

But if you do choose this route, OP, make sure you take a well-informed support team with you, including a doula!

Kajira:  The hospital that I found for my VBAC induction also welcomes vaginal birth of multiples!  (Though to be fair, I did speak with a mom of premie twins at the RMH we were staying at, and she said she delivered one vaginally and then the resident sectioned her for the second because it was breech.  So don't think this is a mecca for all birth situations!)  

Why can't we all just be given the benefit of doubt to allow our bodies to do what they were designed to do?!

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Quoting outstandingLove:

I am planning a HBAC right now. Each area is different. In my area, once a section always a section UNLESS you plan a home birth. Or, you can drive 3 hours to the closest VBAC accepting hospital.

A midwife will likely be more willing to offer you a VBAC or give you appropriate information on where you can have a hosptial VBAC if that's what you're looking for.

How's your pregnancy going so far, outstandingLove?

outstandingLove
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:28 AM

I'm 17ish weeks and things are fine. My last pregnancy went well too. No complications or anything.

Last labor ended in c-section because all the home midwives in our area (different area than where we live now) were booked, i had insurance issues that didn't get fixed in time to use the free standing birthing center, and DH did not feel at all comfortable with a UC (although i tried to talk him into it). I labored for nearly 2 days, first day 100% natural. I feel like, as far as hospitals go, i had a good one. They let me walk and only checked me when i asked, etc etc. ...But after the first day my once consistent contractions started to fizzle, were literally almost non-existent. They requested to put me on pitocin and i was so exhausted, so emotionally drained, i agreed and got the epidural too. And i do not regret it. I slept for my second day of labor. dialted to a 10, pushed for 4 hours ...but she wouldn't come out. Her head got stuck on my pelvis. ...  i did get some feeling back in my right leg and tried to squat to help her come down, but it didn't work. At that point, baby started to get distressed. Doctor tried the vacuum for 3 good strong pushes ...but she still wouldn't come. ...The doctor said at that point he felt a section was necessary. I started to cry, he said he could see that i was very upset, but that he couldn't do the section without my consent. ...That actually made me feel better.

... i should add too, that my water had been broken for much longer than 12-24 hours. They never even brought that up.

...Anyways. sorry for the story. My point being that i do feel my c-section was avoidalbe, but that i did not experience a traumatic birth. I was still very devestated because that was my biggest fear. But i never felt like i had to fight.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting outstandingLove:

outstandingLove
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this

And thanks so much for asking! :-)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting outstandingLove:

babygrashoff
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Fight for what u want......I was told by another one of my doctor's patients told me he pushes for c sections with most of his patients ao I have a fight on my hands too
mikkosmommy
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
What state are you in? Also, join you nearest ICAN group, join their Facebook page if you can't actually go to meetings.
I had a successful VBAC in Wisconsin at a hospital birthing center with a midwife in 2008 and 6 days ago I had my second successful VBAC at a hospital birthing center with an OB in Missouri.
If you are set on a hospital birth I recommend calling L&Ds at all your nearest hospitals and asking them about their VBAC policies, drs who do vbac's, drs with lowest csection rates, drs who let moms go past 40 weeks, etc...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN