Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My daughter started school this year and since then she has been getting sick constantly, she will be sick for days and days and be better for a day or two and then be sick again for weeks. It's mostly runny nose, sometimes a caugh for a few days, never a fever. The only time she's been 100% better is over breaks.

I don't know what to do for her, we don't have the best diet but it's not horrible and she gets tons of fruits and veggies, takes a multivitamin, etc. she never got sick like this before starting school. My older daughter is in second grade and doesn't get sick very often at all.

she has a doctors appointment coming up, but I don't feel like I will get much help from them. :-/ 

any advice?

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Replies (21-29):
Stelladawn
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM
We use garden of life brand.

Quoting .BeHappy.:

I was looking at them, there are so many, any brand suggestions?

Quoting hapababies: Have you tried giving her probiotics?

shajdinyak
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Elderberry Syrup! A friend just thanked me today for the suggestion:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:12 PM

You can make naturally fermented drinks and foods at home that are full of probiotics. We make kombucha at home and water kefir. And I make sauerkraut. It makes a huge difference in getting sick. My daughter was the same way except she would get really sick!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't tried it but everyone suggests it! I need to buy some to make my own syrup :)

Quoting shajdinyak: Elderberry Syrup! A friend just thanked me today for the suggestion:)

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Anything with more than one strain and refridegerated have more live bacteria.

Quoting .BeHappy.:

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM
I buy mine at whole foods in the fridge section

Quoting monalisasus: Anything with more than one strain and refridegerated have more live bacteria.

Quoting .BeHappy.:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Astragalus is great to take when you're not sick to strengthen the immune system. Stop taking it when you get sick.
Elderberry is loaded wih vitamin c helps fight disease.
Echinacea is immuno booster, so you only take it during illness and only for a few days at a time. Since it's a booster, not a strengthener, if you take it too much your immune systems becomes delendant and weak.

I'm sure you know this, GB, I just wanted to give op a little info on these to get her started because I think they are great suggestions!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Look into the herbs Astragalus, then elderberry, then ecinachea.  In this order to build and maintain immunity, and ward off illness.

Look into Thyme EO.  Lemon EO is our go-to on the bottom of our kiddos' feet (in a carrier oil) because I'm too lazy to make my own Theives!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.BeHappy.
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone!
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I'm new to probiotics, also.  I have been using unflavored GoLive probiotics, I just put the package in the water that my boys drink.  It has 15 probiotic strains in it, I figure it's a good starting point until I learn more about probiotics.

Quoting .BeHappy.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN