Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Safety of homebirth study

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 15 Replies
2 moms liked this

wonderful info to share with worried family/friends

http://www.mana.org/blog/home-birth-safety-outcomes

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Awesome! Thanks! I saw this on Facebook too

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Love it!
caligirl7613
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM
thats awesome. wish i could copy and paste. someone made a post yesterday in a group i am a member of with all these "studies" and youtube videos about how unsafe homebirth is etc..their oinion (the poster) was that people who choose homebirths should automatically be charged with neglect or some such thing. *eye roll* i couldnt even get throught reading all their "facts" i just had to exit the post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I find hospital births to be very unsafe in so many ways.  They wont even let other kids visit because of flu risks, MRSA runs rampant in hospitals.  They like to push interventions that are risky to mom and baby etc etc

Quoting caligirl7613: thats awesome. wish i could copy and paste. someone made a post yesterday in a group i am a member of with all these "studies" and youtube videos about how unsafe homebirth is etc..their oinion (the poster) was that people who choose homebirths should automatically be charged with neglect or some such thing. *eye roll* i couldnt even get throught reading all their "facts" i just had to exit the post.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM
I totally agree. My number one reason for staying home was for safety reasons.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I find hospital births to be very unsafe in so many ways.  They wont even let other kids visit because of flu risks, MRSA runs rampant in hospitals.  They like to push interventions that are risky to mom and baby etc etc

Quoting caligirl7613: thats awesome. wish i could copy and paste. someone made a post yesterday in a group i am a member of with all these "studies" and youtube videos about how unsafe homebirth is etc..their oinion (the poster) was that people who choose homebirths should automatically be charged with neglect or some such thing. *eye roll* i couldnt even get throught reading all their "facts" i just had to exit the post.

caligirl7613
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:29 PM
exactly. alot of peopl i have met dont look at things like that. they cant see or dont care to see, the other side of things. Drs. are all knowing and the only "safe" way to birth

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:57 PM

My friend had an amniotic embolism last birth and almost died, she blames it on her water breaking and believes a csection is safer.  The doctor told her with a csection her water will not break...ummm doesnt he have to cut into the sack generally to get the baby? Im terrified for her because she says her doctor is her savior and whatever he says goes.  I was telling her that baby will miss out on good bacteria from a vaginal birth so give probiotics and she said only if her doctor prescribes them..WTF

Quoting caligirl7613: exactly. alot of peopl i have met dont look at things like that. they cant see or dont care to see, the other side of things. Drs. are all knowing and the only "safe" way to birth

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

coronado25
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM
If I had had the choice, I would have given birth in a dark earthy cave, by myself. That is what I longed for with each contraction. To be alone and somewhere very dark.

Glad, though that I was in a hospital. I have two cervixes that are divided by a fleshy septum that nearly but not completley divides my single uterus. I literally began to split in two.

My husband, who had been a butcher began screaming "someone help us!" Because he says that the blood was a pulsing geiser out of me.

They could barely get the mask on me to knock me out for an emergency c section because the mask and person trying to put it on me were blood spattered and I was confused and pushing that bloody thing away.

Very happy that csections exist and that my daughter was able to be born without my death being imminent.

For people who are fortunate enough to have normal anatomy that can safely choose homebirth, hurrah!

For those whose situations may be more risky, there are hospitals. Hurrah!

We live in a great age!
caligirl7613
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:43 PM
its a proven fact that babies born vaginally have less chance of asthma and other respitory issues. and why would she only consider it if a dr. perscribes it, you dont even NEED a perscription. i dont like it when people are not open minded. i realize some people plain are not comfortable with the idea of a birth with a midwife, or home birth, or epidural free birth, but dont act like im crazy and have no sense just because i do things differently. and dont expect me to applaud your elective (in some cases) C section or induction when you wont even listen to, much less consider anothers poin of view. This is why our c section rates and induction rates are so high. Drs realize what works best for THEM and because people blindly trust drs those rates sky rocketed. glad there are increasing efforts to bring those down now.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

My friend had an amniotic embolism last birth and almost died, she blames it on her water breaking and believes a csection is safer.  The doctor told her with a csection her water will not break...ummm doesnt he have to cut into the sack generally to get the baby? Im terrified for her because she says her doctor is her savior and whatever he says goes.  I was telling her that baby will miss out on good bacteria from a vaginal birth so give probiotics and she said only if her doctor prescribes them..WTF

Quoting caligirl7613: exactly. alot of peopl i have met dont look at things like that. they cant see or dont care to see, the other side of things. Drs. are all knowing and the only "safe" way to birth

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Ok really dumb question, but can you explain what an amniotic embolism is?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN