Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help! hubby wants me to get an epi and i dont want one at all

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM
  • 27 Replies
I want to go as unmedicated as possible and he has mentioned he would rather i get the drugs. I really would rather avoid it as It doesnt take fully and i am in a lot more pain being stuck on my back.

I need links and stuff to research and studies showing how it is more beneficial to go without the interventions and augmentations.

The benefits for both me and the baby.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:43 PM
4 moms liked this
A natural safe alternative would be "Hypnobabies", google it. I have used it with 2 of my 4 births. Highly effective.

It's your body and your birth. I don't understand why you have to argue this with your husband.
JadeTigr7
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not his choice, in any way shape or form.

Why are you needing to argue this?  They cannot put an epidural in with your permission so whether HE wants you to have one or not, he has no say in it. 

MissMia22
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Because he is my other half. He is my support person. I really want us on the same page so that if i cant verbalize he can be my voice.

His biggest worry is seeing me in pain. I have a high tolerance and our last 2 were pitocin babies. It was really painful for me.

Luckily this time i have amazing midwives and they know my history and are willing to be my support as well.

It is very important to me that he is on the same page and understands why i want to do this one as naturally as possible.

Quoting Lynette: A natural safe alternative would be "Hypnobabies", google it. I have used it with 2 of my 4 births. Highly effective.

It's your body and your birth. I don't understand why you have to argue this with your husband.
MissMia22
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:48 PM
He knows that, while it was with reluctance he has agreed to support me but i want him to understand why.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Why are you needing to argue this?  They cannot put an epidural in with your permission so whether HE wants you to have one or not, he has no say in it. 

JadeTigr7
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Can your midwives not explain it to him? Or provide the info?

Quoting MissMia22: He knows that, while it was with reluctance he has agreed to support me but i want him to understand why.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay read up on Hypnobabies. Birth does not have to be painful. I know that sounds crazy but it's real. My first 2 children I ended up with EPI's. I honestly don't handle pain well. My 3rd child I did Hypnobabies, it was intense but not painful. I remember wondering what transition was going to be like when I felt the urge to push. Turns out I had gone through transition but hadn't realized it. I was in control the whole time. My 4th birth with it was painful. I had back labor for much of the labor till baby turned. Still though I handle most if the labor without falling to bits. Bonding was easier without the EPI, thanks to that natural surge of Oxytocin that comes with a non-medicated birth. Recovery time was much faster. I felt so good. With an EPI you have very little control. If baby gets stuck or if you need to walk around to help the process you can't, because you can't change positions like that.

Have your husband watch Business of Being Born with you. But even before that watch some Hypnobabies YouTube laboring women. You be amazed at how calm and in control those women are.

Quoting MissMia22: Because he is my other half. He is my support person. I really want us on the same page so that if i cant verbalize he can be my voice.

His biggest worry is seeing me in pain. I have a high tolerance and our last 2 were pitocin babies. It was really painful for me.

Luckily this time i have amazing midwives and they know my history and are willing to be my support as well.

It is very important to me that he is on the same page and understands why i want to do this one as naturally as possible.

Quoting Lynette: A natural safe alternative would be "Hypnobabies", google it. I have used it with 2 of my 4 births. Highly effective.

MissMia22
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM
He works 6 days a week. He has been to one appointment with me. Its unlikely he will be able to sit down and discuss it with them before labor.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Can your midwives not explain it to him? Or provide the info?

Quoting MissMia22: He knows that, while it was with reluctance he has agreed to support me but i want him to understand why.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

MissMia22
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:06 PM
I will for sure thank you!

Quoting Lynette: Okay read up on Hypnobabies. Birth does not have to be painful. I know that sounds crazy but it's real. My first 2 children I ended up with EPI's. I honestly don't handle pain well. My 3rd child I did Hypnobabies, it was intense but not painful. I remember wondering what transition was going to be like when I felt the urge to push. Turns out I had gone through transition but hadn't realized it. I was in control the whole time. My 4th birth with it was painful. I had back labor for much of the labor till baby turned. Still though I handle most if the labor without falling to bits. Bonding was easier without the EPI, thanks to that natural surge of Oxytocin that comes with a non-medicated birth. Recovery time was much faster. I felt so good. With an EPI you have very little control. If baby gets stuck or if you need to walk around to help the process you can't, because you can't change positions like that.

Have your husband watch Business of Being Born with you. But even before that watch some Hypnobabies YouTube laboring women. You be amazed at how calm and in control those women are.

Quoting MissMia22: Because he is my other half. He is my support person. I really want us on the same page so that if i cant verbalize he can be my voice.

polkaspots
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Without the pitocin you're likely to have an easier time with the pain. That's all I've got.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Can you just tell him that you want no drugs and even if he doesnt understand, he needs ti be supportive if it? Sometimes guys just wont get it, but it doesnt mean that they cant be supportive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)