Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 1/2 year old problems

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice by taking the natural route. My 3 year old hardly sleeps, doesn't eat, and will not potty train.

Sleep: Will hardly go to bed before 11ish and wakes up a 8am with no nap. He gets roughly 8-9 hours of sleep a night and I believe should be getting closer to 10-11. We have a bedtime routine every night that includes a snack (use a nutrigrain bar, goldfish, or waffle), we brush our teeth, and read a book. I don't turn off his light because he freaks out.

Is there anything you can suggest? Better snacks? Turn off his light and listen to the screaming for awhile, while fighting with him for the light switch? I'm thinking about trying out some herb oils like lavendar, chamomile, etc. Anyone had success with this? Burt's bees Lavendar lotion doesnt do the trick.

Eating:

I serve him 3 meals a day with an afternoon snack and a bedtime snack. He will only eat a few bites of his food, excuse himself, then complain and cry that he's hungry. It doesn't seem to matter if I give him a salad or Mac n cheese. He doesn't want to eat what I give him. We would, however, eat string cheese, yogurt, goldfish etc all day long. He can have tandrums, but overall he is a very energetic boy. Do you think a few bites is enough??

Potty Training:

He also refuses to do this. Will only sit on the toilet if he is in the mood to play with toilet paper.

I fully believe if I can solve one of these problems, the other ones will fall into place. Any suggestions?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
conejoazul
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM
my 3.5 yo has a lot in common with your list. he also has been dx with adHd. i sympathize with what you are going through. we're struggling to find fixes to these very basic life skills as well.
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM

My son is similiar but he's on the autism spectrum. Sleeping 9 hours is great though! My son wasn't sleeping at all previously. He still wakes up 5x an hour or so. But he never went to sleep before midnight until he was almost 3. I bought him a weighted blanket and it helps a lot with calming down at bedtime.

It sounds like he really only wants to eat dairy foods. Maybe he has a sensitivity to them since he seems to only want them. I would try taking dairy out and I bet you will see a huge improvement in him eating other foods. If our kids don't process dairy or wheat properly they leave peptides in their body that are like a drug to them. Then it's all they want to eat. If he has trouble with dairy that is unseen it will cause a lot of behavior problems and probably hyperactivity too. My daughter cannot eat dairy. 

Have you ever tried talking about why he doesn't like the light off? I'd get some books and talk through how sleeping in the dark is ok. You can Google social stories for being afraid of the dark. These help a LOT! I found working through things by talking about them all the time and making small steps towards your goal (sleeping with the light off). Shop for a cool nightlight that he would like and talk about having the night light instead of the light on and use a social story about why the dark is ok. 

I don't wait to potty train when they cooperate because with kids like mine they will never cooperate! You have to get them to! You just need to get creative. For my kids I would bring the tablet to the potty and let them watch a certain show or video that they like. Or have potty toys only. I used everything I could to motivate them to sit on it. I took the diapers away and talked a lot about using the potty. Then I let them have a lot of accidents and that is how they learned. There are so many ways to motivate them. Let them earn stickers by sitting. Some kids need more immediate rewards. 

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM

And welcome to the group!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)