Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My daughter is jealous of her new brother and sisters breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 month old triplets and 2 and 4 year old girls. I've been strictly breastfeeding the babies, like I did with my older two. It was so difficult at first but I'm finally getting the hang of it.

My 2 year old wasn't completely weaned off breastmilk until she was 16 months (really late, I know), so it hasn't been too long since my breasts were her territory. She started pulling my shirt down and climbing all over me when I nurse the babies. I've been letting her nurse occasionally for a comfort (mostly at night when she would get her bottle). 

My mother-in-law got wind of this and thinks it's perverted and innapropriate. My husband isn't sure how he feels about it, but he's more worried my 4 year old will start to want to breastfeed. So far she has not expressed any interest, but even if she wanted to breastfeed occasionally as well, I wouldn't think it was the worst thing in the world.

What do you think? Should I stop this? I produce a lot of milk, so that isn't really an issue. It's what is healthy for my daughter.

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
JWu
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM

It is completely normal for children to regress when a new baby joins a family. The fact that your two year old is desiring to be back to the breast does not seem odd to me. It is a comfort thing for her right now. She needs to know that she is still special to you....you know she is but she also needs to know it. She won't want to do it forever. If she had been newly potty trained she would probably revert back to diapers briefly as well. I can't tell you how many newly weaned bottle fed children I have seen over the years revert back at intro of a new baby. It is normal to revert but somehow our society feels more comfortable with the bottle over the breast. You are doing nothing wrong and it is only perverted if you are making it sexual...which obviously you are NOT. This is "comfort food" just as a bowl of soup or bowl of dessert is a "comfort food" for an adult.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I will have to try and rest more.  I have a 6, 4 & 2 yr old they keep me going.

Quoting MilfordMomma:

Take it as easy as possible! 

Unfortunately I didn't make it to full term and I think it had a lot to do with me having to take care of a 2 and 4 year old while pregnant with triplets!

Quoting Sarah725:

I still nurse my 2 1/2 yr old so obviously I think nothing of it if your 2 yr old wants to nurse.  Congrats on the triplets!!  Any advice for me to carry these twins to full term??   I'm almost 27 weeks now.

Jenn8604
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM
16 mos is not that long. I bf for 22.5 mos and others bf til 3 years. You need to get rid of that bottle before she has permanent damage to her teeth if she doesn't already and let her nurse at night
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katherinemcp
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Like everyone else said, 16 months is not late at all for weaning! I just wanted to chime in and say, WHOA- triplets! Awesome job. Mil and dh should be bowing at your feet answering your every whim, lol.
mjrex87
by Mindy on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

16 months is not late at all. I am about to wean at age 2 because my body simply will not allow me to nurse without pain anymore. I think 24 months is too soon personally, but unfortunately I don't have a choice. Let your daughter continue to nurse as long as you and she both want it. There is no right or wrong age. Moms should nurse as long as it is mutually desired by both the mother and child. No one else gets a say in how long you breastfeed. 

And, you are a ROCK STAR for nursing 4 kids at once!! Your MIL and husband should be in awe of you.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM

OP indicated she wants to allow her daughter to nurse, but these would be great suggestions for someone who wanted to wean.

Quoting coronado25: I would help your daughter relish the fact that her body is now capable of digesting big kid foods, that the time for nursing is special for babies and does not last very long, and that she has had her special baby time already. Help her find other ways of bonding with you that may be only youu two do. Like a sippy cup of her favorite beverage or let her munch a favorite snack while you rub her feet or braid her hair. Let her feel pride in graduating to eating and drinking in a way that requires hand eye coordination, and some basic skills like manners and thoughtfulness about healthy foods. Explain that you, too enjoyed your nursing time together and now there will be different special times to look forward to.

coronado25
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM
I was under the impression that the daughter had already been weaned and now wants to resume nursing.

Quoting mjrex87:

OP indicated she wants to allow her daughter to nurse, but these would be great suggestions for someone who wanted to wean.

Quoting coronado25: I would help your daughter relish the fact that her body is now capable of digesting big kid foods, that the time for nursing is special for babies and does not last very long, and that she has had her special baby time already. Help her find other ways of bonding with you that may be only youu two do. Like a sippy cup of her favorite beverage or let her munch a favorite snack while you rub her feet or braid her hair. Let her feel pride in graduating to eating and drinking in a way that requires hand eye coordination, and some basic skills like manners and thoughtfulness about healthy foods. Explain that you, too enjoyed your nursing time together and now there will be different special times to look forward to.

Sunshine71980
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Go for it mama, I am tandem nursing our 6 month old and our 2 yr old still nurses a few times a week.  As long as it is working for you, great.  It has the added benefit of helping keep your 2 yr old healthier so she doesn't get the babies sick.  If your 4 yr old wants to nurse, let her too.  Just be warned that sometimes by that age they loose the ability to suckle correctly so it may be painful for you.   But it is still good for her  :)

whyfie
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM
nursing triplets is amazin! 16mths isn't late @ all. i say ignore mil, nurse ur 2yr old (it certainly won't hurt her) ur supply should increase as a result. if ur 4yr old wants 2 join in, let her...u may need to have a preliminary talk w/ hubby to prepare him for this possibility.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM
She did, but the mom is okay with her nursing. It's the mil that has a problem with it.

Quoting coronado25: I was under the impression that the daughter had already been weaned and now wants to resume nursing.

Quoting mjrex87:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)