Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Spacing out vaccines..

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

For those who space vaccines out or selectivly vax, what shots do you get at what ages?

DS is 6 weeks. He had his 1 month check up Monday and they asked if we wanted the second hep b then, or wait until his next visit at 2 months. I chose to wait. Dr was telling us what vax's he will get next appt (if we are planning on vaxing ) and it was a long list. I told her I'd rather space them out so he doesn' t get so many at once and she said that was fine. I just don't know which ones to get at what age...She reccomended ..I think it was 3. (should have written it down or something lol) I think it was whooping cough, hep b, and ??

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/

Here is the schedule. You should do your own research. Only you can decide what you're comfortable with. What I did was researched the vaccine, ingredients, side affects, disease being vaccinated for, prevalence, NORMAL presentation, and treatment. Most diseases that are vaxed for are pretty harmless. Unfortunately, I did all of this AFTER my first had a serious reaction.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Dr and I discussed this. He suggested I consider three certain vaccines that hed administer one at a time after her first birthday. I did my own research and declined them all. But if I had done them, I'd have waited until after the second birthday when the blood brain barrier is developed and the brain is a little more protected from the neuro toxins.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I believe Dr. Sears has a vaccination schedule out there for choosing to delay.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Yeah, it seems like a lot of people like the Sears schedule for this.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Spacing out vaccines will not help prevent a vaccine injury if your child is susceptible to one. I understand the premise behind it but if it's in your genes that it will hurt you it will still hurt you. You can choose what you want to give when or selectively vaccinate. I always suggest rm everyone do their own research so they know why they made the choices they did. You don't want to make them out of fear either way or you will drive yourself crazy worrying. If you do the research you will feel happy with your choice. I choose to do my own research and decided not to vaccinate at all. I'm glad that I did. My family has gene mutations that make you more likely to be vaccine injured
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM
His book is informative

Quoting SlapItHigh: Yeah, it seems like a lot of people like the Sears schedule for this.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM

If we have decided to vax we were going to use the 2 and talking schedule. 

janislacrosse
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 3:59 PM
(Although at this point (21 months) my LO has only received 2 rounds of HIB and I'm not sure if we will be doing any additional vaccines...) Initially, I did plan to follow the Dr. Sears alternative delayed vaccine schedule. I would definitely recommend checking out his book (simply titled The Vaccine Book) not only for the suggested schedule, but for more in depth information on each vaccine/disease.

The premise of his delayed alternative schedule is to only do 2 shots at a time and only one aluminum-containing vaccine at each appointment. It does require additional "shots only" appointments... but of course you don't necessarily have to follow the schedule to the letter, you can use it as a framework to start from...

Just to give you an idea the first few months look like this...
2 months- DTaP, Rotavirus
3 months- Pc, HIB
4 months- DTaP, Rotavirus
5 months- Pc, HIB

He suggests delaying things like Hep A, Hep B and Polio until after 12 months since these diseases are quite uncommon in infants or, in the case of Polio, uncommon in the US entirely.

Hope that gives you a good starting point. Definitely take the time to research each vaccine, ingredients, potential side effects, etc. and delay any vaccines until you are 100% comfortable with your decision. You can always give a vaccine later- but, you can't take it back once it's been given.

Good luck!
Terpsichore
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Yeah, this is how we've been going: only 1 aluminum containing shot at a time. We did do a combo shot for DTaP, HIB, Polio since it contains a lot less aluminum than the only DTaP "only" vaccine the doctor office will use here.

Another good thing to know: shots required for daycare/school. There are ways to waiver having vaccines, but it's still good to know. For example, there must be 3 rounds of polio vaccines here, and at least one of them has to be after the 4th birthday. If three polio vaccines were all given before age 4 . . . have to get yet another polio shot.

Quoting janislacrosse: (Although at this point (21 months) my LO has only received 2 rounds of HIB and I'm not sure if we will be doing any additional vaccines...) Initially, I did plan to follow the Dr. Sears alternative delayed vaccine schedule. I would definitely recommend checking out his book (simply titled The Vaccine Book) not only for the suggested schedule, but for more in depth information on each vaccine/disease.

The premise of his delayed alternative schedule is to only do 2 shots at a time and only one aluminum-containing vaccine at each appointment. It does require additional "shots only" appointments... but of course you don't necessarily have to follow the schedule to the letter, you can use it as a framework to start from...

Just to give you an idea the first few months look like this...
2 months- DTaP, Rotavirus
3 months- Pc, HIB
4 months- DTaP, Rotavirus
5 months- Pc, HIB

He suggests delaying things like Hep A, Hep B and Polio until after 12 months since these diseases are quite uncommon in infants or, in the case of Polio, uncommon in the US entirely.

Hope that gives you a good starting point. Definitely take the time to research each vaccine, ingredients, potential side effects, etc. and delay any vaccines until you are 100% comfortable with your decision. You can always give a vaccine later- but, you can't take it back once it's been given.

Good luck!

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM

We were spacing out shots until my son's reaction.  I'd do a lot more research mama before doing any shots.  The shots do not work nearly as well as many drs will tell you and the risks can be quite high. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN