Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

questions about homebirth

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM
  • 16 Replies
I currently have 3 kids that I gave birth to in a hospital. And not that they were necessarily bad experiences, I have been thinking for awhile about trying a homebirth with my next baby. I am not pregnant now but would like as much info as possible so I'd know what I'm getting myself into. I am kinda scared of doing a homebirth only because of the pain. I had an epidural with all 3 births so far, and I know that wouldn't be an option for a homebirth.

So one question is... whats all the pain relieving options for a homebirth?

And, I know it's different everywhere, but approximately how much is the cost compared to doing a hospital birth? I know hospital births are very expensive.

And, can any of you just tell me your experience of your homebirth? I'd love to hear the stories.
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Practice Hypnobirthing or Hypnobabies. It will teach you how to do relaxation techniques and self hypnosis.

Other things that help are walking, laying on your side, squatting, sitting in or leaning into a birthing/exercise ball, take a shower, take a bath, get on your hands and knees, meditate.

An assisted home birth can be anywhere from $1500-5000. Some insurances will cover all or part. Many midwives will barter or do payment plans as well.

I loved my home births. Here are my birth stories (sorry not clicky).

The first link is my first 4 babies births. The last baby on there was my first home birth.

Sadie, Hannah, Abigail, and Brigham
http://ourpioneerlife.blogspot.com/2009/01/our-first-four-birth-stories.html

Moses
http://ourbirthjourneys.blogspot.com/2008/06/our-birth-story-6-5-08.html

Rebekah
http://ourbirthjourneys.blogspot.com/2010/02/our-first-unassisted-birth.html

Jacob
http://ourbirthjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/08/our-newest-little-man-born-august-4.html

Joy

http://ourbirthjourneys.blogspot.com/2013/01/joy-christine-our-third-uc.html
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I had 4 births in hospital with epidurals and 1 at home.  My midwife charges $2500, but with my medicaid I only paid $500.

The pool/tub was the best pain relief for me, as was deep breeathing.  Being able to move how I felt I needed to move solved everything pain wise for me

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM

BTW Welcome to the group momma!!

anity
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the replies and info.
kdgord
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:01 PM
I had a homebirth with my 4th after 3 hospital births with epidurals. The biggest things for me with my fourth were to concentrate on the fact that the contractions only lasted about a minute instead of focusing on how close together they were and relaxing in the tub filed with warm water. Those helped me get through it. I would never do a hospital birth again. This one was our last but if I were ever going to have another it would be at home or in a birthing center.
Precious333
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Hello! I had one hospital and three homebirths. I never had an epi though. I used bradley method, took a class, which was helpful. I used a lot of visualization, listening to my body to rely on position, bath, shower and thinking positive thoughts. It also helps to be in a place where you feel most safe and at peace.
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:14 PM

My sons in hospital birth cost us a whopping total of 11k after all the bills and every $5 ibuprofen was added in. We have a high deductable, but honestly never thought how much a stinking hospital birth would cost us. I didn't have anything fancy either, just pit and an epi.  When I got preg with my second I actually started having panic attacks at the thought of having to deal with a medical bill that would take us 3 years to pay off again. I started looking around, watched BOBB, started reading homebirthing books and decided I was really interested. I found a midwife who only charged 3500 for all the prenatal care, birth and post care. I read Hypnobirthing and every other holistic birthing book I could get my hands on.  By the time my second decided to come it was easy despite my thinking I sounded like a drunk cow that had tipped over.  I'm currently planning my second homebirth and I'm still just as sound in my confidence that I can do this again.  Not being afraid of what my body is doing is the greatest feeling in the world. 

anity
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:19 PM
These replies are really helpful. They're easing me a bit more about my decision to have a homebirth. And I know my boyfriend (probably be husband at that point) will be very supportive and put all his time and energy into helping me through it.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Great books to read are any by Ina May Gaskin. They help to remind you birth is normal and we are designed for this...also full of evidence based information and super great birth stories. I had a homebirth for my first and it was hard work but worth it. Baby and me received so many great benefits from it. I'm having my second homebirth any day now ;)
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:14 AM
First homebirth cost me 1800 this one costs 800. It's really dependent on ur midwife and insurance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)