Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

best carrier for a 20.5lb 5 month old?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:24 PM
  • 21 Replies

Hi I am looking for a amazing carrier for my 20lber 5 month old.

As some of you know I bought a ring sling after using the Moby wrap for months, I hate the ring sling and so does he. He is very heavy and it ends up hurting my shoulder.

So what is the best carrier for me?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina18
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I used both a Moby Wrap and a Mei Tai carrier with my dd. Around 5-7 months I had to stop using the Moby wrap because DD got too heavy.

The Mei Tai I had was AMAZING! I used it until my dd was into her toddler years (2-2.5yrs old). I never had back pain and I felt like the mei tai supported her weight very well. =) I just bought a cheap mei tai off of ebay and it worked out great. My SO was able to use the mei tai too and he could comfortably wear the mei tai in the "backpack" position

I'll see if I have a photo of the mei tai I had.

ballerina18
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM

My dd was around 2-3 months in this photo, but you can see I just had a simple mei tai.It was machine washable and had super soft material on the inside.

Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:31 PM

can I use it to carry him front position?

Quoting ballerina18:

I used both a Moby Wrap and a Mei Tai carrier with my dd. Around 5-7 months I had to stop using the Moby wrap because DD got too heavy.

The Mei Tai I had was AMAZING! I used it until my dd was into her toddler years (2-2.5yrs old). I never had back pain and I felt like the mei tai supported her weight very well. =) I just bought a cheap mei tai off of ebay and it worked out great. My SO was able to use the mei tai too and he could comfortably wear the mei tai in the "backpack" position

ballerina18
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Yep, front position and back position. There might be a "side" position option, but I never tried that.

I've heard great things about the Ergo carriers as well, but I never tried those. For me, the mei tai was simple enough to put on quickly, but not too complicated to put on.

Quoting Lovin_mybaby5:

can I use it to carry him front position?

Quoting ballerina18:

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:52 PM
My 18 mo is 21lbs and still loves to be worn in our Ergo. It has back, front, and side carry options. However I am looking into getting a beco because I've heard they are better once they start getting bigger.

Edit: Said Beco meant Tulla. I've been looking at both but leaning toward a Tulla.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM
I love the Boba hands down! It lasts longer than the Ergo because it's bigger. I prefer it over a mei tai since it has a sleeping hood. That comes in handy if they fall asleep on your back so their head isn't bobbing around and hitting doorways lol. Look up the Boba! It's worth every penny =)
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:56 AM
I LOVE my mei tai for front carries, and I prefer my ssc for back carries (I have a Beco butterfly II, it's great).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:10 AM
I used one my mom had for me for my 20lb 4 month old. It was awesome. They don't make a good front carrier like they used to. IMO!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I love my Tula..the standard size one is great.

farmlovin
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I love our Ergo once they can hold their head up better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)