Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Finding Mom-Friends

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter and I moved to Sacramento about 5 months ago. I've felt really isolated here with her because I don't know anyone in the area and because of that I feel like my daughter is getting the short end of the stick. She's nearly 16 months old and I see her growing and learning so much but I can't help but feel like she could be getting so much more out of relationships with other babies her age than what she is getting from only being around me 24/7. I feel that baby play is incredibly important and I'm struggling meeting any moms at all. I've looked into groups but they all seem to cost a fortune. I'm kind of at a loss here. In my old town, before we moved, there was a center specifically for play groups and the groups were all free  or close to it. Just wondering if anyone knows of anything like that in the greater Sacramento area. 

Thank you! and Sorry for the long post! haha

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Have you checked out what the local library offers?  We go to a lot of things that they have there such as story time and it's all free.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Did you check meetup or fb groups?
There's a natural mom network, shoot what's it called...? Natural moms network maybe? Bah! But they have monthly play dates.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Holistic moms network?

You could also look for your local lll or babywearing groups if those apply to you. Heck, even the local cd group has meetups in my area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:58 PM

FB was totally my way to find local mommy group!

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM
I'm no good at making friends... I'm new and isolated. My three year old loves story time at the library because it's every week and she always finds someone to play with. I like it cuz it's free. I need to go more often though. I feel no matter where I take her she's the extrovert that just goes up to kids and asks them to play. I being all awkward have such a hard time talking to moms. I will say she had little to no social interaction up until now and she's still amazing at it so I wouldn't worry too much.
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:42 PM
If you are still breastfeeding LLL could be an option. Holistic Moms Network group is awesome.
SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Yeah, I made a lot of mom connections through LLL like Lynette mentioned. Find some mom groups and if you have any trouble, start your own!
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I met a lot of moms through local natural parenting friendly groups on Facebook. Home birth groups, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, EC, etc. Also libraries always have all kinds of things going on for kids. They might have a movers and shakers type class. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Great idea! Start your own if you can't find one! I've done that :)

Quoting SlapItHigh: Yeah, I made a lot of mom connections through LLL like Lynette mentioned. Find some mom groups and if you have any trouble, start your own!

berespectful
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM

MOPs is amazing and the babies get plenty of time to socialize. http://www.mops.org/  If you're of an athletic turn of mind lots of gyms have free childcare if you join and that's a great way for both mom and baby to socialize. I honestly do a lot of church events b/c it's a great way to make friends for both me and our little son in the nursery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN