Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Home birth must haves?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I'm planning on a homebirth and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions that they would like to share? 

I know that homebirths aren't for everyone, but please be resepectful and post things that are actually useful. 

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

relaxing scented candle that isn't too strong, extra pack of chucks pads, red towels, lots of washclothes, oils for massage, music, a sturdy stool or footstool or a good sized birthing ball (something you can drape yourself over comfortablly), small space heater, freezer post partum gauze pads, and lots of ice and water with lemon/oranges sliced in it. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Are you planning a water birth?
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Inflatable birth pool! Supportive people!
ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:56 AM
I'm planning on renting a birth tub, but my midwives tell me that some women prefer birthing out of it bc of buoyancy or positioning issues. I'm trying one bc I had back labor with my first and my regular tub isnt deep enough to fully submerge myself. I'm planning on renting a TENS unit too.

Quoting jconney80: Are you planning a water birth?
ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Ok, I gotta ask, what's the stool for?

Quoting FrumpyMama:

relaxing scented candle that isn't too strong, extra pack of chucks pads, red towels, lots of washclothes, oils for massage, music, a sturdy stool or footstool or a good sized birthing ball (something you can drape yourself over comfortablly), small space heater, freezer post partum gauze pads, and lots of ice and water with lemon/oranges sliced in it. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Chux pads and lots of them, towels too.  A big tub or pool to soak in even if you want to give birth on dry land.  Cameras personally my photgrapher was one of my best investments.  The stool mentioned before often helps moms but the birthing stool was HELL for me and made my back hurt worse!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

BTW welcome to the group! We dont bash here especially about homebirths! Some of the moms have had unassisted, some midwife assisted, some birth center and some hospital births.  We even have csection moms here BUT the most natural way in my opinion is home so no bashing at all!

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Ooh, photographer!!! Great suggestion :).

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Chux pads and lots of them, towels too.  A big tub or pool to soak in even if you want to give birth on dry land.  Cameras personally my photgrapher was one of my best investments.  The stool mentioned before often helps moms but the birthing stool was HELL for me and made my back hurt worse!

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Your midwife should give you a list of supplies you need for the birth. I got all mine at inhishands.com

Otherwise, get things that you like and will help you to relax.
GoldenLinds
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Birthing ball, make meals ahead so if you start labor in the am you can toss it in a crock pot and have a light meal at dinner. Fresh fruit too. Food will also be appreciated by your birthbattendants. A basket set aside with changes of clothing for you including nursing bras and everything you want the baby dressed in, and diapers and blankets so nobody has to search for them. A cup with a straw for during labor. Black sports bra to labor in, if you'll be in a tub iy wont show anything and looks great in photos. Personally I would opt for a dimmer switch in the room where you will want to labor. So relaxing to be able to dim the lights.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN