Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What are you planting this year?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM
  • 23 Replies

I am going to start working on my garden planning...well more than I have, lol. I'm ready for spring to arrive and tilling and digging to start.

I'll most likely order most of my seeds from seed saver this year as they have a good selection and decent prices.

My plans so far are tomatoes, bell peppers, cabbage, strawberries, peas, squash, eggplant, possibly pumpkins.

This should be our off year for pears, unfortunately. I wish we had more room for a few more fruit trees but we'd have to cut down shade trees in order to have more room and I don't want to do that.

What are you planting this year?

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:23 AM
For spring/summer -- a variety of lettuces and greens, snap peas, carrots, a variety of peppers, a variety of tomatoes, a variety of beets, fennel, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, watermelon, pumpkin, green beans. For herbs - cilantro, mint, thyme, oregano, rosemary, chives and a variety of basil. Garlic is already planted to be harvested in summer. I'm still debating on cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower for spring or if I want to reserve those for fall planting. I have never been successful with those in spring but I'd love to figure it out and overcome that. I'll start acorn and butternut squash in late summer too. I'm sure km forgetting some things.
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Oh forgot about our berry patch. We grow blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and I'm debating on strawberries this year. We have a turtle problem that prevents me from getting a good strawberry harvest but I'd love to find a solution. We also have our kiwi in the berry patch. We have to build something larger for the kiwi to climb and I'm thinking about fencing the whole patch in and the kiwi can grow on the fence. It's going to be a big project.
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM

It sounds like you have a large area for planting. We only have about a quarter of an acre of land, but between the house, the garage, the dogs area/swimming pool area, the three large shade trees, my wash lines and kids play area, we don't have a lot of extra for planting. I wish I had more but we currently don't have the finances to move to a place with more land. I do want to attempt to plant a few more things in containers this year though.

Quoting SlapItHigh: For spring/summer -- a variety of lettuces and greens, snap peas, carrots, a variety of peppers, a variety of tomatoes, a variety of beets, fennel, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, watermelon, pumpkin, green beans. For herbs - cilantro, mint, thyme, oregano, rosemary, chives and a variety of basil. Garlic is already planted to be harvested in summer. I'm still debating on cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower for spring or if I want to reserve those for fall planting. I have never been successful with those in spring but I'd love to figure it out and overcome that. I'll start acorn and butternut squash in late summer too. I'm sure km forgetting some things.

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I feel you! We would love more space too. We have half an acre and no pool or anything so a lot of usable space. The only problem we have is shade from trees. We've been getting some cut down. I want to replace them all with duet and nut tees!

Quoting funhappymom:

It sounds like you have a large area for planting. We only have about a quarter of an acre of land, but between the house, the garage, the dogs area/swimming pool area, the three large shade trees, my wash lines and kids play area, we don't have a lot of extra for planting. I wish I had more but we currently don't have the finances to move to a place with more land. I do want to attempt to plant a few more things in containers this year though.

Quoting SlapItHigh: For spring/summer -- a variety of lettuces and greens, snap peas, carrots, a variety of peppers, a variety of tomatoes, a variety of beets, fennel, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, watermelon, pumpkin, green beans. For herbs - cilantro, mint, thyme, oregano, rosemary, chives and a variety of basil. Garlic is already planted to be harvested in summer. I'm still debating on cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower for spring or if I want to reserve those for fall planting. I have never been successful with those in spring but I'd love to figure it out and overcome that. I'll start acorn and butternut squash in late summer too. I'm sure km forgetting some things.

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Fruit, not duet. Lol!
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:14 AM

We don't have a large pool, just one of those you can buy at Kmart to set up and take down each year with a filter. We put it in the dog area so that it's fenced in and doesn't take up so much space.

I've considered talking to my husband about cutting down one of the shade trees and using that for more garden room but I love the tree and the kids climb it so...

I amy decided to add some more fruit bushes this year. We have a quince and I'd like to get another one and maybe some blueberries or raspberries or something. We have about 3 feet between the edge of the garden and the neighbors property where we could put them. I'd love to do grapes but I'd have to do some reading up on them. I know it's possible in our climate since we have a winery who grows their own not far from us.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I feel you! We would love more space too. We have half an acre and no pool or anything so a lot of usable space. The only problem we have is shade from trees. We've been getting some cut down. I want to replace them all with duet and nut tees!
Quoting funhappymom:

Smh77
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Ok where do you live? I thought Kiwi had to be in a tropical place? I'd love to grow it!

Quoting SlapItHigh: Oh forgot about our berry patch. We grow blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and I'm debating on strawberries this year. We have a turtle problem that prevents me from getting a good strawberry harvest but I'd love to find a solution. We also have our kiwi in the berry patch. We have to build something larger for the kiwi to climb and I'm thinking about fencing the whole patch in and the kiwi can grow on the fence. It's going to be a big project.
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM
I thought so too but my sister spent two years apprenticing on a local organic farm and she told me they grow really well here. We live on the coast of VA. Another local friend of mine started kiwi plants from seeds of kiwi she bought at the grocery store. This year was her first year getting fruit from them and they produced like crazy!!!! We haven't gotten any fruit from ours get but this year should be our first year with fruit so we'll see what happens.

Quoting Smh77: Ok where do you live? I thought Kiwi had to be in a tropical place? I'd love to grow it!

Quoting SlapItHigh: Oh forgot about our berry patch. We grow blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and I'm debating on strawberries this year. We have a turtle problem that prevents me from getting a good strawberry harvest but I'd love to find a solution. We also have our kiwi in the berry patch. We have to build something larger for the kiwi to climb and I'm thinking about fencing the whole patch in and the kiwi can grow on the fence. It's going to be a big project.
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I wouldn't cut down a good climbing tree either!! We only got gumball trees cut down. I can't stand those things!

Quoting funhappymom:

We don't have a large pool, just one of those you can buy at Kmart to set up and take down each year with a filter. We put it in the dog area so that it's fenced in and doesn't take up so much space.

I've considered talking to my husband about cutting down one of the shade trees and using that for more garden room but I love the tree and the kids climb it so...

I amy decided to add some more fruit bushes this year. We have a quince and I'd like to get another one and maybe some blueberries or raspberries or something. We have about 3 feet between the edge of the garden and the neighbors property where we could put them. I'd love to do grapes but I'd have to do some reading up on them. I know it's possible in our climate since we have a winery who grows their own not far from us.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I feel you! We would love more space too. We have half an acre and no pool or anything so a lot of usable space. The only problem we have is shade from trees. We've been getting some cut down. I want to replace them all with duet and nut tees!

Quoting funhappymom:

Smh77
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM
That is so exciting!!!! Good for you! I'm so impatient with my fruits that I don't do anything that I can't reap in the current year.... But I need to look that one up!! Hope you produce more than you can eat!!!

Quoting SlapItHigh: I thought so too but my sister spent two years apprenticing on a local organic farm and she told me they grow really well here. We live on the coast of VA. Another local friend of mine started kiwi plants from seeds of kiwi she bought at the grocery store. This year was her first year getting fruit from them and they produced like crazy!!!! We haven't gotten any fruit from ours get but this year should be our first year with fruit so we'll see what happens.

Quoting Smh77: Ok where do you live? I thought Kiwi had to be in a tropical place? I'd love to grow it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)