Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Things you have learned since being a mom

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

Or things that you have changed how you feel. 

After dealing with my dd puking all day today, I'll kick it off and add more as they come to me. 

I find myself more bothered by the wasted food than cleaning up puke. 

Gatorade smells terrible when regurgitated. 

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
That is something is on your shirt...for the love of all that is holy it is better to just change than smell it...

Seriously I think ds threw up on himself and took his shirt off while I was in the laundry room. I picked up the shirt saw that it looked like puke and proceeded to lean it to smell...wtf is wrong with me. I should know better by now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newwifenmom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I am also more bothered by wasted food lol

I've learned to relax more

I've educated myself more on topics such as breastfeeding, vaccinating, best foods for various ails

I've learned that I have to be assertive(its not in my nature)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM
I have learned to speak more literally now. It's kind of annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:48 PM
I have learned that I'm a lot stronger than I gave myself credit for. I didn't think I would be able to handle puke, explosive diarrhea, blood, and mucous, but I have. I don't like it, but it doesn't send me running like I thought it would.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM
How much time do you have?.....
3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I always thought I'd make my kids good people, but they are the ones pushing me to be a better person.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Puke actually makes me have panic attacks lol. It has since I was about 4 years old. I have never been able to handle it. And guess what? If my youngest gets sick she vomits constantly for hours. Then gets better and starts vomiting again the next day. I've had to get over my puke phobia! And it's crazy because I've never heard of a kid like her who does this. She will vomit repeatedly. There is nothing to do but ride it out. I never thought I'd say "well puke doesn't bother me as much anymore" lol. I was seriously scared to become a parent because vomit used to upset me so much.

Quoting hapababies: I have learned that I'm a lot stronger than I gave myself credit for. I didn't think I would be able to handle puke, explosive diarrhea, blood, and mucous, but I have. I don't like it, but it doesn't send me running like I thought it would.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Hahaha! Same for me too!

Quoting SlapItHigh: How much time do you have?.....

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I will say one of the biggest things that I have learned from my kids. The world is not as black and white as we make it. My kids all have special needs. They are all autistic. They are amazingly brilliant, bright, and perceptive. They see things differently and they do things differently and that is their normal. Once you live that and you have to deal with things that most people don't have to deal with you realize how intolerant people are of anything different. You realize how narrow minded and small the majority of people's worlds are. You see how little people really know about what is going on around them. I see the world with different eyes now. People look at us strangely for babywearing our son who fatigues early due to having hypermobility in his joints and to sensory overload from being in loud stores. They think we must baby him. People who are respectful parents and natural parents look down on us because we put a label on our kids and validated their real struggles that they have instead of making excuses that there is this huge variance of what is normal for kids (isn't that the opposite of respectful parent? brushing off children's challenges?). It's eye opening to see how rigid most people's thinking is. 

My eyes are open that everyone is different. There doesn't have to be so many rules to how everyone does things because doing things differently is ok too. I accept people for who they are instead of judging them. 

My kids have changed my life drastically. I know I wouldn't be who I am and who I'm going to be in the future without them. They have pushed me to be strong when I thought I couldn't be. 

kendallrose
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:27 AM

There's been a lot, but one of the biggest things has been not being such a control freak. Before kids I used to plan out everything and if things didn't go right I was upset. Now I'm more laid back about things. I still "plan" my day, but if certain things don't happen its not the end of the world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)