Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question about essential oils!

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have recently started learning more about essential oils. I have a diffuser in DD's bedroom with lavender, which has actually helped her sleep, I add them to my vinegar/orange cleaner, and have made candles and wax melts. I'm wondering if it's safe to use them in food. I found a recipe for toothpaste I would like to try as well as add some to my tea. Is this safe? Thanks in advance!!

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I dont know much about EO I hope someone else does

kbutton24
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Thank you!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I dont know much about EO I hope someone else does

SweetPeaMS
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

First things first, not all essential oils are created equally.  There are many oils on the market that state that they are 100% pure therapeutic grade oils.  Fact of the matter is that the FDA only requires that a company include 10% of pure oil into any given product to consider it 100% pure.  The rest is filler full of synthetics, chemicals and the like.  That being said, most oils are not safe for ingestion because of this fact. 

Ten years ago, I set out on a journey to eliminate harsh chemicals and other ingredients that I couldn't pronounce from my home.  I started out simple, making everything possible from scratch in the kitchen and little by little with a lot of research am in a place where there are now no chemical household cleaners, detergents/softeners, OTC medications or unnatural foods in our home. 

All of the products that I make have one or more EO's in them.  We diffuse, consume, clean and help aches/pains, snotting/snorting/snoring etc with them. 

Never use heat with EO's as this eliminates any therapeutic properties. 

Any oils that are used on wee ones should ALWAYS be diluted in a minimum of an 8:1 (carrier oil... pure coconut, olive, grapeseed etc oil to EO) This is because depending on the EO brand you are using, the strength will vary and because may cause a rash if you apply them neat. 

When consuming the EO's make sure to use a glass as any EO worth it's weight in gold will eat plastic and styrofoam, leaching harmful chemicals into your body.  It is also recommended to use a seel straw as some of the EO's esp the citric ones, can errode the enamal on your teeth.  Another option, is to put EO's in a non GMO size "00" capsule with a little olive oil and swallow. 

There is so much more to the EO life but that would take weeks to fully explain.  Feel free to message me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Happy Oiling!

kbutton24
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:37 PM

wow! I too have gotten rid of all of the chemicals in our home. Cleaners, food, etc. And am just now trying to learn more about EOs. I would specifically like to use lemon & peppermint in capsules for myself, as well as orange and peppermint in toothpaste. Right now I have a few Aura Cacia oils. Are these safe? Thank you so much for all of the information, I'm sure I'll be PMing you as I continue my research!

Quoting SweetPeaMS:

First things first, not all essential oils are created equally.  There are many oils on the market that state that they are 100% pure therapeutic grade oils.  Fact of the matter is that the FDA only requires that a company include 10% of pure oil into any given product to consider it 100% pure.  The rest is filler full of synthetics, chemicals and the like.  That being said, most oils are not safe for ingestion because of this fact. 

Ten years ago, I set out on a journey to eliminate harsh chemicals and other ingredients that I couldn't pronounce from my home.  I started out simple, making everything possible from scratch in the kitchen and little by little with a lot of research am in a place where there are now no chemical household cleaners, detergents/softeners, OTC medications or unnatural foods in our home. 

All of the products that I make have one or more EO's in them.  We diffuse, consume, clean and help aches/pains, snotting/snorting/snoring etc with them. 

Never use heat with EO's as this eliminates any therapeutic properties. 

Any oils that are used on wee ones should ALWAYS be diluted in a minimum of an 8:1 (carrier oil... pure coconut, olive, grapeseed etc oil to EO) This is because depending on the EO brand you are using, the strength will vary and because may cause a rash if you apply them neat. 

When consuming the EO's make sure to use a glass as any EO worth it's weight in gold will eat plastic and styrofoam, leaching harmful chemicals into your body.  It is also recommended to use a seel straw as some of the EO's esp the citric ones, can errode the enamal on your teeth.  Another option, is to put EO's in a non GMO size "00" capsule with a little olive oil and swallow. 

There is so much more to the EO life but that would take weeks to fully explain.  Feel free to message me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Happy Oiling!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

wow so much good info SweetPeaMS, thanks!

SweetPeaMS
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Quoting kbutton24:

wow! I too have gotten rid of all of the chemicals in our home. Cleaners, food, etc. And am just now trying to learn more about EOs. I would specifically like to use lemon & peppermint in capsules for myself, as well as orange and peppermint in toothpaste. Right now I have a few Aura Cacia oils. Are these safe? Thank you so much for all of the information, I'm sure I'll be PMing you as I continue my research!

I have used many EO's over the years, everything from Aura Cacia, Now Solutions, and a few other off brands sold in the grocery stores of Alaska before moving to the lower 48 again last year.  For the past several months, I have been using Young Living EO's and their other products and have never been so darn impressed.  My husband and I were both very skeptical about spending so much money on what for all we knew could be just another "snake oil" so I ordered a few samples to test the waters.  Never in the 10 years that I've been doing this have I ever felt an almost instant relief from an EO.  I continue to be surprised by the effectiveness of their oils on a daily basis. 

The largest wow factor to us was when my husband injured himself on the job down in Houston.  He slipped and fell in a resturants freezer area that wasn't properly squeegeed after the sloshing of water that he was delivering product to.  The dolly he was pushing landed fully loaded on him with his back on the floor.  His company sent him to the ER in an ambulance, and after a shot or two of medication, sent him in a cab to catch a 6 hour Greyhound busride home to the DFW area.  Never in my life had I seen him in so much pain.  He's a big man and me only being 5'4 really kind of impossible to lift.  Finally got him up the flight of stairs and into bed but good Lord Almighty was that a chore!!!!

I called up my best friend and asked her what I should do because the Now Solution Arnica oils I was using weren't touching his pain.  She put me in touch with a person in my area who gifted me with a Peppermint and PanAway sample.  I rubbed the oils on with some EVOO and put a heating pad on low for about 15 minutes as suggested.  About an hour after applying everything, I noticed that he had relaxed a little bit.  The next morning, he was able to get out of bed, still in pain but able to move fully on his own.  I did the same application for 2 more days and on that 4th day he wasn't in any pain and was able to return to full duty in the truck after being cleared by the baffled doctor and physical therapist by the end of the week. 

While I am sure that this will cause a few ruffled feathers, let me just say that cheaper isn't always better. I am guilty of thinking this too but have been proved wrong.  I saved for months to purchase the diffuser and everyday oils kit but looking back on it, would not change that decision for the world.   

I look forward to talking to you as I am always researching and learning from every interaction I have.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM
If you use it in food get food grade or medicinal grade only, and don't use them in straight water. I personally wouldn't use them in food, but if you follow a French cookbook and use proper oils it should be fine. I use them in tooth paste and it's great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kbutton24
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I've been lkooking into young living EOs, but they're SO expensive! I saw that you become a member for $40, do yoou have to be a member in order to buy, or does that just give you a discount? I wish I had a rep in my area. 

Quoting SweetPeaMS:

Quoting kbutton24:

I have used many EO's over the years, everything from Aura Cacia, Now Solutions, and a few other off brands sold in the grocery stores of Alaska before moving to the lower 48 again last year.  For the past several months, I have been using Young Living EO's and their other products and have never been so darn impressed.  My husband and I were both very skeptical about spending so much money on what for all we knew could be just another "snake oil" so I ordered a few samples to test the waters.  Never in the 10 years that I've been doing this have I ever felt an almost instant relief from an EO.  I continue to be surprised by the effectiveness of their oils on a daily basis. 

The largest wow factor to us was when my husband injured himself on the job down in Houston.  He slipped and fell in a resturants freezer area that wasn't properly squeegeed after the sloshing of water that he was delivering product to.  The dolly he was pushing landed fully loaded on him with his back on the floor.  His company sent him to the ER in an ambulance, and after a shot or two of medication, sent him in a cab to catch a 6 hour Greyhound busride home to the DFW area.  Never in my life had I seen him in so much pain.  He's a big man and me only being 5'4 really kind of impossible to lift.  Finally got him up the flight of stairs and into bed but good Lord Almighty was that a chore!!!!

I called up my best friend and asked her what I should do because the Now Solution Arnica oils I was using weren't touching his pain.  She put me in touch with a person in my area who gifted me with a Peppermint and PanAway sample.  I rubbed the oils on with some EVOO and put a heating pad on low for about 15 minutes as suggested.  About an hour after applying everything, I noticed that he had relaxed a little bit.  The next morning, he was able to get out of bed, still in pain but able to move fully on his own.  I did the same application for 2 more days and on that 4th day he wasn't in any pain and was able to return to full duty in the truck after being cleared by the baffled doctor and physical therapist by the end of the week. 

While I am sure that this will cause a few ruffled feathers, let me just say that cheaper isn't always better. I am guilty of thinking this too but have been proved wrong.  I saved for months to purchase the diffuser and everyday oils kit but looking back on it, would not change that decision for the world.   

I look forward to talking to you as I am always researching and learning from every interaction I have.

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:58 AM
1 mom liked this

There are numerous great, GREAT brands out there, OP.  Here's a nice article showing what you should look for in a company:  http://www.learningabouteos.com/index.php/2013/08/16/what-to-look-for-in-an-essential-oil-company-a-checklist/

kbutton24
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:41 AM
Thank you so much!!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

There are numerous great, GREAT brands out there, OP.  Here's a nice article showing what you should look for in a company:  http://www.learningabouteos.com/index.php/2013/08/16/what-to-look-for-in-an-essential-oil-company-a-checklist/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN