Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

kiddie pool v. birthing tub?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:13 AM
  • 8 Replies

So, we're planning on a homebirth, but kiddie pool v. birthing tub? My midwives prefer the birthing tub bc it's meant for this specific use (and it has all the bells and whistles), but even a rental is more expensive than a kiddie pool. Any thoughts? 

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Khelmoria
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Never used a birthing pool. My kiddie pools worked just fine. As long as in is deep enough to cover belly and you up to your underarms you should be fine. I would not waste the money.

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I couldn't find a kiddie pool deep enough to allow me to kneel and have my belly covered. But my MW let's use use her birth pool for no charge other than the cost of a liner. I liked having the birth pool because of the size and it also had a built in seat which was nice. Although I'm sure a kiddie pool can be adapted in a similar way.
doulala
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Are there other factors for you like cost?

When possible, I would want to spring (no pun intended) for the tub designed for laboring, personally.

GL!

ciao_kitty
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM

How did you keep the water warm? BC that's def one of the reason why I'd like to rent a birthing pool. Our bathtub is not deep enough to go up my bellly/back unless I sink low down and I'm pretty sure that I'll be more comfortable on all fours or on my knees. 

Quoting Khelmoria:

Never used a birthing pool. My kiddie pools worked just fine. As long as in is deep enough to cover belly and you up to your underarms you should be fine. I would not waste the money.

kendallrose
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

No personal experience with either, but I know women who have done just fine with kiddie pools.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I have no experience here's a bump.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I found the depth is extremely important, if you can't find a kiddie pool deep enough to submerge yourself in, it won't be worthwhile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:11 PM

this

Quoting kendallrose:

No personal experience with either, but I know women who have done just fine with kiddie pools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)