Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Potty training backfire

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 42 Replies

My dd has been potty trained since this past summer.  Our biggest hurdle, like with most, is getting her to tell us that she has to go when we are out.  We passed that one pretty easily a few months ago, but it has backfired on us. She won't go potty, even at home, unless we say "Go Ahead, Go Potty, Sweetie." She has been having temper tantrums because we didn't hear her in time, granted permission to go too late and then we have a ticked off 3 year old who is wet.  Like this morning, I was in the shower, the fan was running and she was standing outside the bathroom door saying she had to go potty. Did I hear her? No. 

Life. Anyone else have something like this happen? 

*Edit. We NEVER ONCE told her to ask us for permission to go potty. EVER. When we are out all my kids have to do is say they have to go. I've seen it come up in the comments and that is something I didn't state. But her telling us she has to go potty has turned into her thinking she is asking to go potty rather than simply stating a basic need. 

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Maybe go back to the basics of reminding her every half hour-hour or so?

spitfire06
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
we had this happened dd came home from bio daddy's and peed in a pumpkin.....
spitfire06
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM
consistency is the key. .. after you have a few conversions about it she will understand lol
larissalarie
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM
I've never had this issue with any of mine! Sounds frustrating.

What did you do to get her to tell you when you're out? I've never had issues with potty training when out versus at home, it wasn't a separate part of the process. I think maybe that's the key to figuring out why she'd wet herself rather than potty without permission.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:06 PM

We bought her the underpants she wanted and just reminded her she needed to tell us when she had to go potty. We had a lot of adventures this summer, camping, family trips, etc. So it's just lingered that she needs to tell us when she has to go. Ds on the other hand, he would just go without telling us. This was great until we went camping and he would just go behind the tent. 

Quoting larissalarie: I've never had this issue with any of mine! Sounds frustrating. What did you do to get her to tell you when you're out? I've never had issues with potty training when out versus at home, it wasn't a separate part of the process. I think maybe that's the key to figuring out why she'd wet herself rather than potty without permission.

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Tried that, but the other issue is getting her to drink. I have no idea where this is coming from. Part of me thinks she hates having to stop what she is doing to go potty.  I dunno. I just don't know.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Maybe go back to the basics of reminding her every half hour-hour or so?

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope so. I really do. 

Quoting spitfire06: consistency is the key. .. after you have a few conversions about it she will understand lol

spitfire06
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM
does she go with you when you go to the bathroom?
ArmyWifey2013
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM
I would plain as day tell her at home you don't have to ask permission and at three she should understand that
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

she comes in and chatters away when I go. this whole thing just started up since she's turned 3, so I don't know if it's a phase, like a control issue or what. 

Quoting spitfire06: does she go with you when you go to the bathroom?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN