Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Treating Pink Eye With Breastmilk

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, so I'm feeling pretty much like a crunchy mom champ this week.

The kids have had runny/stuffy noses, headaches etc. for a little over a week.  I've run the humidifier for them nightly with a mixture of eucalyptus, TTO, lavender, and peppermint in the diffuser part.  The runny noses and congestion and cough are pretty much gone.

Today though, began the green goopy eyes. Ugh. Pink eye. Wonderful.  Our doctor was going to phone in eye drops for them both.  By the time I got to the pharmacy and found out they had never received the call from the doctor to fill a prescription, the doctor's office was closed.  By the time I'd get the on call doctor to call back, the pharmacy would be closed.

So I looked for my "old" manual breast pump.  Couldn't find it.  Resolved myself that I wouldn't scar our kids for life by leaning over their goopy eyes while trying to hand express out a couple of drops of milk for each eye, AND actually aim it enough to roll into their eyes. LOL I told them we say NOTHING about this to ANYONE at school. (They're 5 and 2.5)

I was so amazed at how quickly 2 drops in each eye cleared out the yucky stuff in their eyes.  I'm not saying we're home free by any means, but the filmy crap that goes along with pink eye seemed to just melt to the corners of their eyes where I could then bathe it out. WOW!!!

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this
It's funny that you posted this because I'm going through the same thing today with my 2 year old. What I did was, I took the squeeze top off an old medicine dropper, put my pinky on the tip, and expressed a few drops into the top of the dropper. I didn't want to even try to point and squirt, lol.
I'll see tomorrow if it worked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoldenLinds
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Heck yeah! I had to do this with my stepdaughter at the same time as my 3mo old ds. Lol. It was a sight. I still try my densest to squeeze out a drop for ds for his poor runny nose. I use a medicine cup and an eye dropper right up his nose. He hates it but he stays still cuz its that effective!! I mean if its good enough to get a 2yo to stay still its gold! Love breastmilk. Go mamma:-)
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Woohoo!! Go mom!

Do you have a dropper? I just express Into a cup then use a dropper. It's easier that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Point and squirt! LOL!
Didn't even think of separating the dropper to express in to. A cup just seemed so daunting and not do-able.

Quoting hapababies: It's funny that you posted this because I'm going through the same thing today with my 2 year old. What I did was, I took the squeeze top off an old medicine dropper, put my pinky on the tip, and expressed a few drops into the top of the dropper. I didn't want to even try to point and squirt, lol.
I'll see tomorrow if it worked.
sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Expressing is such a misleading term when you nurse as little as my kids do anymore. I was seriously lucky to get the eight drops or so out that I did. But yeah, will try straight into the dropper tomorrow. Thanks!

Quoting jellyphish: Woohoo!! Go mom!

Do you have a dropper? I just express Into a cup then use a dropper. It's easier that way.
hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Believe me, I was shocked at how much I was able to get out. I had no idea that I still produced enough to put bm in his eyes 3 times today.

Quoting sjk_maybe_mom: Expressing is such a misleading term when you nurse as little as my kids do anymore. I was seriously lucky to get the eight drops or so out that I did. But yeah, will try straight into the dropper tomorrow. Thanks!

Quoting jellyphish: Woohoo!! Go mom!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:18 AM
Woohoo that's awesome! I hope it continues to work :)
melindabelcher
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:10 AM
yay for boobie milk!
hope the kiddos feel better soon :)
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM

BM works great for pink eye in my house my older kids actually ask for it when their eyes or ears hurt.

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:23 PM
That's great! It has worked well for my kids too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)