Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

So frustrated!!!!! Any help? (PIOG)

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM
  • 26 Replies

so I am pregnant with my 3rd girl. After two completely unsatisfying hospital births, this time I wanted to go to a birthing center. But my insurance is refusing to pay in network pricing, because its not a st. luke's facility (the hospital in which I work for) even though no st. luke's facility offers midwife services. I'm so frustrated I'm about to cry! Hubby is saying home birth, but with my hx of high blood pressure towards the end of pregnancy, I'm not sure I like this. I'd rather go somewhere other than my house. Not against it, just not sure if I want it, or even if I can find a midwife to deliver me this late in my pregnancy (I'm 24 weeks). 

Any ideas/suggestions? Unassisted is not an option for me. Hubby is not enough alone for me to be comfortable. I just want to cry!

TIA

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM

Can you plan for a homebirth and then transfer if blood pressure issues do arise?  There are diet and other precautions to prevent high blood pressure.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:13 AM
There's no harm in meeting with a hbmw to ask questions and relay your concerns; a meeting is not a contract. Then you can go from there.
Will the ins pay for the bc at all?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I would work at finding a HB midwife and see what she thinks.  I would also get on the brewers diet as it helps blood pressure issues.  Many moms find that with correct diet BP is less of an issue

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM
What can a birth center do for high blood pressure that wouldn't be available at a homebirth? It might help to realize that the main difference between home and birth center is just having to get in the car during active labor and then drive home after birth when you really just want to rest with your new baby.
BabyPink07
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM
What's the brewers diet? We eat Paleo already.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I would work at finding a HB midwife and see what she thinks.  I would also get on the brewers diet as it helps blood pressure issues.  Many moms find that with correct diet BP is less of an issue

BabyPink07
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM
I guess I'll be looking for a midwife. The insurance will be paying for some, but I'd still have 3500 out of pocket. I can't imagine a midwife being cheaper for a home birth than that. I doubt they'd work with insurance.

My other option is a doula in hospital. Not what I want, but I feel might be helpful. I really want to do delayed cord clamping and my last ob said he would, then cut it as fast as he could. Maybe if I just had someone to speak up for me.

Quoting SlapItHigh: What can a birth center do for high blood pressure that wouldn't be available at a homebirth? It might help to realize that the main difference between home and birth center is just having to get in the car during active labor and then drive home after birth when you really just want to rest with your new baby.
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM
My homebirth was $2500 with no insurance. Some insurance does offer coverage for homebirth. It depends on the insurance and the midwife.

Quoting BabyPink07: I guess I'll be looking for a midwife. The insurance will be paying for some, but I'd still have 3500 out of pocket. I can't imagine a midwife being cheaper for a home birth than that. I doubt they'd work with insurance.

My other option is a doula in hospital. Not what I want, but I feel might be helpful. I really want to do delayed cord clamping and my last ob said he would, then cut it as fast as he could. Maybe if I just had someone to speak up for me.

Quoting SlapItHigh: What can a birth center do for high blood pressure that wouldn't be available at a homebirth? It might help to realize that the main difference between home and birth center is just having to get in the car during active labor and then drive home after birth when you really just want to rest with your new baby.
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM
I had a natural birth with a doula in the hospital before my homebirth. Not only did I not get the delayed cord clamping that I wanted, my OB cut my baby's cord before he was born, which required him to be resuscitated. A doula can't speak on your behalf during labor.

Quoting BabyPink07: I guess I'll be looking for a midwife. The insurance will be paying for some, but I'd still have 3500 out of pocket. I can't imagine a midwife being cheaper for a home birth than that. I doubt they'd work with insurance.

BabyPink07
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Isn't that the point? Ugh.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I had a natural birth with a doula in the hospital before my homebirth. Not only did I not get the delayed cord clamping that I wanted, my OB cut my baby's cord before he was born, which required him to be resuscitated. A doula can't speak on your behalf during labor.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I thought that was the point of a doula to speak on your behalf while your in labor.  That's what mine did for me.  I would check into a doula if your having any BP issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN