Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Another question... Here goes everything... Edit with more at bottom of post...

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 23 Replies

Another queston to ask you lovely ladies... Not sure where to start really so i'll just start from the beging... Here Goes everything..

See my doctor wants me to have test done ASAP, i think it's called a colonoscopy... and
in order to do that i'd have to have baby off the breast on pumped milk... but my problem
is that he won't take pumped milk in a bottle or cup at all...

When i told the doctor this yesterday and spoke with him about my consernces he jus told
me, well they gotta learn sometimes so you may just have to pump and store milk and find a sitter and just have the test done...
I am a very carring mom and i find it hard to tell myself to do that, i just find it very
mean. I understand i have to have the test done and i know why and all that...

But i'm at a loss at this point... What should I do in your opinion? What would you do in my situation?
I mean if your baby would not take a bottle or sippy would have the test done and simply give your baby(7months old) pumped milk,
or would you wait regardless of what the doctor says?

Thank you in advance ladeis...

(BTW, sorry if this doesn't totally make since i'm setting trying to think while I have a cold, and that doesn't always work out best for me... but thank you ladies anyway...)

Edit/update:

Ok so let me get this straight i need to be worried about the meds used to clean out my system before the procedure as well as the meds used during the procedure right?

One thing i'm really worried about is being able to care for baby the evening and night before the procedure is done.... Would you ladies have it done if you thought you would be to sick to care for baby before procedure and baby wouldn't take bottle???

Thank you again ladies...

Please note that after I get over this cold I am going to call the doctor's office and try to get more information about the meds used before or during the procedure and go from there... but after yestorday i'm totally unsure at this point...

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM
What medications are they concerned about
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Quoting melindabelcher: What medications are they concerned about

he is concerned about the, i think he called it seditive, that they have to give you to out you under or whatever it's called to do the procedure... so yeah, idk a lot about that kind of thing...

mamak3211
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk much about the procedure but is it general anesthesia? If so as soon as you are awake enough to hold baby you are safe to nurse. Get ezaqct medications from dr. Then call the infant risk hotline (open m-f) and they will give you reliable information. Many dr's say you can't breastfeed because they either don't know or are saying it just to be safe (cover their a$$)
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM
First, get the exact name of the med and check safefetus.com

Next, how vital is it that you take the test now? W/o sharing too much, is it something that can wait until babe is able to take a bottle? If so that's something we can definitely help with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smack05
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM
He may be worried about the stuff you have to drink to clean you
out before the surgery
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM
This is what I was thinking exactly. My kids were the same way about nursing and refusing a bottle. For some kids it's much more difficult because they can't be calmed any other way. I really understand!

Quoting jellyphish: First, get the exact name of the med and check safefetus.com

Next, how vital is it that you take the test now? W/o sharing too much, is it something that can wait until babe is able to take a bottle? If so that's something we can definitely help with.
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM
I had a colonoscopy while sedated and did not have to pump. I continued to breastfeed without incident. I checked with my dr first to make sure it as ok and then double checked when an IBLC who confirmed it was safe to continue to nurse without pumping.
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM
That stuff is safe to take while BFing.

Quoting smack05: He may be worried about the stuff you have to drink to clean you
out before the surgery
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Thank you all for the advice... I know he talked like he thought the seditve wasn't safe to take while breastfeeding but i am about being to idk shall we say sick to breastfeed the night before. I know the last time i had it done i spent an entire evening and most of the night before running to the bathroom pooping like crazy... so idk... (at least i think that's the one who did me that way anyway...) but idk... we'll see soon as me and baby gets over our colds I'll make my desicion but i'm not real sure at this point....

But thank you again...

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Propofol, the most commonly used anesthesic used for colonoscopies is on lactmed (the site ran by the national institute of health) which says :

Amounts of propofol in milk are very small and are not expected to be absorbed by the infant. Although one expert panel recommends withholding nursing for an unspecified time after propofol administration,[1]

******most recommend that breastfeeding can be resumed as soon as the mother has recovered sufficiently from general anesthesia to nurse and that discarding milk is unnecessary.*******

So the sedative is safe to nurse as normal. You CAN do a colonoscopy without sedation if you wish. They also use demoral, Valium, and a few others all of which are safe and common for use in breastfeeding mothers.

The clear liquid diet is safe as long as you stay hydrated.

The cleanse is sodium phosphate which lactmed says this: Phosphate is a normal constituent of breastmilk. Phosphate concentrations have not been measured in breastmilk after large maternal doses of sodium phosphate, such a 30 gram oral dose for pre-procedural bowel evacuation. However, the added phosphate in breastmilk is likely to be only about 130 mg over 24 hours in this situation. The increase from a typical dose of a rectal enema would be considerably less than this amount. Breastmilk sodium concentration is tightly regulated, and will not be affected. It is probably not necessary to suspend breastfeeding after the use of oral sodium phosphate solutions given once or twice for bowel evacuation before a procedure, but if there is concern, suspension of nursing for 24 hours after a dose should result in negligible increase in phosphate ingestion by the infant. Use of a phosphate rectal enema by a nursing mother would require no special precautions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)