Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Thyroid levels in pregnancy

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM
  • 35 Replies

My primary just called with my yearly labs to let me know my thyorid was only 0.1 with the normal being 0.4-4.0. I'm seeing online levels can be low during the first trimester. Thoughts? Experience? I did email my midwife just to get her opinion on it. My primary office is booking an endocrinologist appointment. 

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM
I don't know about the first trimester thing, but I know that very low thyroid levels in pregnancy are a bad thing. I've got hypothyroid and I know they always check it each trimester to make sure the levels are ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM

It seems maybe its hyperactive because my tsh is only 0.1

Quoting larissalarie: I don't know about the first trimester thing, but I know that very low thyroid levels in pregnancy are a bad thing. I've got hypothyroid and I know they always check it each trimester to make sure the levels are ok.

larissalarie
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Ah ok. So your t3 & t4 levels were ok?

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting larissalarie: I don't know about the first trimester thing, but I know that very low thyroid levels in pregnancy are a bad thing. I've got hypothyroid and I know they always check it each trimester to make sure the levels are ok.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Ft4 is the most important indicator. Did you get that tested too?
melindabelcher
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM
They didn't test those. I go back for my physical friday so I'm going to have them draw those.
Any other labs I should have drawn with all this thyroid stuff?

Quoting larissalarie: Ah ok. So your t3 & t4 levels were ok?

Quoting melindabelcher:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I don't know anything about thyroid and pregnancy but here's a bump.

larissalarie
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Those 2 and the TSH are what they always test on me, I don't think there's anything else.

Quoting melindabelcher: They didn't test those. I go back for my physical friday so I'm going to have them draw those.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM
They should have run a full panel on her to begin with.

OP, don't do anything until you have a full panel. If just your tsh is off, they'll probably start synthroid. It's safe during pregnancy, but make sure its brand synthroid. The generic is crap

Quoting larissalarie: Those 2 and the TSH are what they always test on me, I don't think there's anything else.

Quoting melindabelcher: They didn't test those. I go back for my physical friday so I'm going to have them draw those.

Quoting melindabelcher:

melindabelcher
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM
A full thyroid panel?

Quoting Aslen: They should have run a full panel on her to begin with.

OP, don't do anything until you have a full panel. If just your tsh is off, they'll probably start synthroid. It's safe during pregnancy, but make sure its brand synthroid. The generic is crap

Quoting larissalarie: Those 2 and the TSH are what they always test on me, I don't think there's anything else.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Aslen
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Tsh, t3, and t4

Quoting melindabelcher: A full thyroid panel?

Quoting Aslen: They should have run a full panel on her to begin with.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN