Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Urine dipstick test during pregnancy

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM
  • 11 Replies
My midwife has us test our own urine at appointments which is awesome. She asks what we saw and of course will discuss it in detail if we have questions but I'm the type who wants to read about it on my own too.

I may dig out my old Anatomy and Physiology books because we did our own urine tests in class a few times but I'm looking for a good book or online resource that goes over everything you can learn from the test and how it relates to my pregnancy.

I know UP/UC mommas use these strips while monitoring their own pregnancy so I was hoping someone in here could point me in the direction of some great resources.
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM

This is the type of urine dipping we always did in the clinic.  Is this what your midwife has you do also?

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

You can just google your results and get lots of info then also.  Maybe even better info in your A&P book.

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM
That's pretty much it. The test pads are in a different order but tests for all the same things.

Quoting Sarah725:

This is the type of urine dipping we always did in the clinic.  Is this what your midwife has you do also?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Thats exactly what my midwife uses!

rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My midwife posted a notice while I was pregnant with my 7 month old that said that these tests are no longer the American standard of care so they won't test routinely anymore
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:24 PM
I don't like to do them. Studies show there is no benefit in doing this. Even my OB didn't do it because he kept up with the evidence.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM

hmm maybe its just not her standard of care because my guy is 7 months too and I know all the midwives in NC still use them

Quoting rjmac88: My midwife posted a notice while I was pregnant with my 7 month old that said that these tests are no longer the American standard of care so they won't test routinely anymore

melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM
My last pregnancy (shes 2)didn't routinely test urine
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Mine uses the same test, I just pee on it and bring it back to her in a dixie cup. 

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM

My mw had me do the same.... you wanted the test stripe to be yellow... if you got green you had to show it to her... green meant there was protein in your urine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)