Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

It's not crunchy, but I finally found a helpful use for that Johnsons baby oil that's been in my house..

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:50 PM
  • 26 Replies

DD has horrible cradle cap, she is 3 and I have tried EVERYTHING to get it to go away or at least unstick itself from her head. We stopped all shampoo's for almost a year, nothing. Tried tea tree oil, nothing. Special cradle cap shampoo, nothing.  You name it in the crunchy line, I've tried and spend $$ on it.  Someone I know said she used the Mineral oil on her dd's head and it just came off. Well, ok, haven't tried that yet. So I saturated her scalp and rubbed it in gently. By the end of the day it was coming off in huge dandruff chunks. It was SOO GROSS!!! Her hair was coming out with it in some places so she now has some bald spots, again. But I can see her scalp!!! I've never used baby oil for anything except taking off eye makeup years ago and it's never touched either of my kids skin until now. But her hair was so matted down where it was. I'm going to do a thorough check tomorrow and see if it got all of it off. If so, I am so thrilled that something FINALLY worked. Whether or not it's permanant, we'll see but maybe tea tree oil from her on will help keep whatever causes it at bay. 

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:41 AM
I was always told to use an avocado and olive oil paste on their head. Worked well. I can see how baby oil would loosen it up. Glad u got most of it out.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM
I'm glad you got it off! Olive oil is the only thing that got it out of my daughter's scalp. I hate how it takes most of their hair with it =(
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I know! And he hair grows so slow on the top and front to begin with.  Horrible nasty stuff.

Quoting jconney80: I'm glad you got it off! Olive oil is the only thing that got it out of my daughter's scalp. I hate how it takes most of their hair with it =(

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I use coconut oil, or olive oil :) What is baby oil made of anyways? lol

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I'm glad it's finally off!

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Mineral oil. stick out tongue miniWhich is why it's been sitting unopened this long. That and whatever fragrance they put in to make it smell like "baby". lol! 

Quoting Precious333:

Oilmom405
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM

You could try some therapeutic grade essential oils. I would try lavender or melrose, but I would make sure you are using a true therapeutic grade brand.

krystlzd3
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:35 PM
I always just took a lice comb through their hair at bath time. It came right off. Took a few times to get it all though.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

well thats really cool

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Neither of these worked for my babe. Only cocoa butter worked. It's crazy how even cradle cap is different for every kid!

Quoting Precious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)