Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

9 month old sleep

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM
  • 14 Replies
I wasn't sure who to ask about this but since it does pertain partially to co-sleeping, I figure this may be the safest forum.

My son is just turning 9 months and his sleep has progressively become more interrupted. He struggles on most nights to fall asleep despite his relaxing routine of bath time, massage with coconut oil and lavender, then story, then nursing in the family bed in which we've co-slept since day one. He doesn't cry or anything of the sort just crawls around, tries climbing the walls to stand, pulls at my face and laughs (which then often causes me to laugh...not helpful I realize). After 10 minutes of this I will take him to the living room with 1 toy and the lights dimmed so he can hopefully learn that beds aren't for playing. This continues for about an hour until he finally sleeps but then proceeds to wake up nearly every hour to nurse for 12 hrs until morning.

* he falls asleep by 9 usually to wake up for 9am. He naps at around 1pm for 40minutes max and at around 330 for 1.5 hours or so

**he hardly nurses through the day comparative to his nighttime feedings

*** co-sleeping is important to our family and we do not believe in CIO methods or anything of the like

What can I be doing to better assist him in getting adequate sleep for his age? I'm a FTM so any advice is appreciated.
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
First try nursing more during the day, he may be binge nursing at night because he isn't getting more during the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kayy543
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM
I'm not sure how. I nurse on demand and when I try to nurse when he isn't asking, he bites. (His bottom teeth were one thing but the top ones are coming in too now..ouch!) I don't know how to break the cycle. I appreciate the advice though, it makes sense.
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe sleep regression is common when babies hit new milestones. If he just recently started crawling or is about to start maybe it's just a short phase that will pass.
Kayy543
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Oh! He did just start crawling. I didn't even consider that. Is it also healthy in terms of his own sleep for him to not be sleeping his nights yet?
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM
It's fine. Mine didn't sleep all the way through the night until she was 2 years old. As long as he doesn't seem overly tired during the day, it's not anything to worry about.

Quoting Kayy543: Oh! He did just start crawling. I didn't even consider that. Is it also healthy in terms of his own sleep for him to not be sleeping his nights yet?
Kayy543
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh that's very reassuring to hear that it's healthy and I'm not doing something blatantly wrong to cause him that trouble. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the support on here; aside from my spouse I don't have family or friends to ask about these things.
graycalico
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:53 AM
It's probably just a regression. I personally don't worry much about it before 1 anyway. They go through so many growth spurts and milestones. Unless it's not working for you I wouldn't do anything different.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Around 6 months ds stopped being able to fall asleep with me. He would just want to play and roll around. We started putting him in his crib and he slept much better. When he would wake up to nurse I would nurse him and have him sleep next to me. He seemed fine sleeping next to me once he had been sleeping for awhile just not when he first was falling asleep. 

BeFit-Mom
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Sleep train with music.

Play soft, no words, simple music that is at 60 beats per minute, which matches resting heart rate. Within minutes, your baby's heart rate, respiration rate, and blood pressure will lower. This creates the necessary physical conditions in your baby's body for sleep to occur.

Continued use of this type of music creates a biofeedback loop, and a stimulus/response pattern becomes engrained, so the more you do it, the better it works.

Google my screen name for a CD of this type of music.

BeFit-Mom

Kayy543
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Wow! That's definitely a different approach! I can't wait to try it. Very interesting. Do you keep the music all night?

Quoting BeFit-Mom:

Sleep train with music.

Play soft, no words, simple music that is at 60 beats per minute, which matches resting heart rate. Within minutes, your baby's heart rate, respiration rate, and blood pressure will lower. This creates the necessary physical conditions in your baby's body for sleep to occur.

Continued use of this type of music creates a biofeedback loop, and a stimulus/response pattern becomes engrained, so the more you do it, the better it works.

Google my screen name for a CD of this type of music.

BeFit-Mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)