Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Late summer bdays

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM
  • 21 Replies
If your child(ren) has a late summer bday, did (s)he start school on the younger side or the older? How did/is (s)he doing both academically and socially/emotionally?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:37 PM
My oldest's birthday is in March so she started at 5. My other kids aren't in school yet. So I'm not much help! My oldest did great in school until she got older and it got harder. Maturity wise she should have been held back when she was younger but I pulled her from public school in 3rd grade
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Both my kids could enrol as early or 'late' and if we were doing PS I would always go late.
melindabelcher
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Marcus bday is sept 3. He started kindergarten right after turning 4.
Hes now 6 and in second grade material...but hes homeschooled so we control the pace. He has his issues with peers but overall hes soooooo much better now!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is June 29 and he started right after turning 5 and did just fine, he is ahead academically.  He is smaller than majority of his class but he got really sick at age 2 and didnt grow for a while.  My others are March and April babies so they obviously went at about 5.5...I think each child is different, yu will know when your child is ready.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Biggie is finishing up first (in a montesorri, so her class is first thru third graders), and doesn't turn 7 until late July, right before second starts. She's doing really well, but the youngest and smallest in her class, and doesn't seem to be able to relate very well to the others. Plus she's introverted, and being older and feeling like a leader would help her a lot. So we are considering keeping her in first again. She's really awesome and definitely on par for where she should be, which is at the beginning of first grade for most, and I feel like second grade now may push her a little too hard.
W/o comparing, I was just curious about other kids. Thanks for sharing!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

My oldest is June 29 and he started right after turning 5 and did just fine, he is ahead academically.  He is smaller than majority of his class but he got really sick at age 2 and didnt grow for a while.  My others are March and April babies so they obviously went at about 5.5...I think each child is different, yu will know when your child is ready.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a good question.  Maggie's birthday is July 31st.  She is one of the youngest in her class.  The only reason I didn't wait to put her in school the following year was because she was already reading at 3 1/2 yrs old, learning everything she could grab on to at home and was begging to go.  She doesn't have a lot in common with the other kids.  She's in 1st grade now and wishes her teeth were falling out fast like the other kids or two years ago she wished she could ride a bike with out training wheels like the other kids.  I remember feeling the same way having a late July birthday also being the youngest in my class graduating at 17.  But she does so well in school that I do think that was the best decision.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Quoting Sarah725:

This is a good question.  Maggie's birthday is July 31st.  She is one of the youngest in her class.  The only reason I didn't wait to put her in school the following year was because she was already reading at 3 1/2 yrs old, learning everything she could grab on to at home and was begging to go.  She doesn't have a lot in common with the other kids.  She's in 1st grade now and wishes her teeth were falling out fast like the other kids or two years ago she wished she could ride a bike with out training wheels like the other kids.  I remember feeling the same way having a late July birthday also being the youngest in my class graduating at 17.  But she does so well in school that I do think that was the best decision.

My daughter is one day older than yours and finishing first now.  Her teacher and I discussed this yesterday and she stressed a LOT that she's not behind at all.  We are looking at this as a practice-run of first grade, and we'll likely have her repeat first so she doesn't seem like she's behind the others in her class.  And her teacher made a good point, she'd otherwise be 17 when she graduates HS, and I personally think that extra year (or "gift of time" as her teacher put it) would be really good for her even then; I see it as another year of my baby being my baby, and getting to encourage and mold her a little longer. But of course every kid is different, and I think the practice-run was fantastic for her individually.

And she's already lost her four front teeth, whereas I didn't lose my teeth until later, and even my last tooth not until sixth grade!

almburr
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Dd August 25th. School starts the 10th or so. She started when she was 4. She was ready. DS July 20th we waited was not ready.
funhappymom
by Representative on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Two of mine are late august birthdays. The oldest we waited, he was not ready. The other one we sent on time. He was very ready. They're now in 3rd and 4th grades and I think we made very smart choices for them.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

That's great, I really didn't like graduating at 17.  In fact I was fine and ahead in class all elementary and middle school but in high school I felt like I was behind and always trying to play catch up.  I waited a few years to go to college and did so much better than because I did.  Everything just clicked better then.

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting Sarah725:

My daughter is one day older than yours and finishing first now.  Her teacher and I discussed this yesterday and she stressed a LOT that she's not behind at all.  We are looking at this as a practice-run of first grade, and we'll likely have her repeat first so she doesn't seem like she's behind the others in her class.  And her teacher made a good point, she'd otherwise be 17 when she graduates HS, and I personally think that extra year (or "gift of time" as her teacher put it) would be really good for her even then; I see it as another year of my baby being my baby, and getting to encourage and mold her a little longer. But of course every kid is different, and I think the practice-run was fantastic for her individually.

And she's already lost her four front teeth, whereas I didn't lose my teeth until later, and even my last tooth not until sixth grade!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN